Unprecedented Sports Journalist Announcement (I Think)

Thursday, April 26, 2007



Along the lines of the Cheerleader Terrorist story yesterday comes this piece via Sports By Brooks. SbB came across an article in the LA Times where columnist Mike Penner will change his sex on vacation and comeback to work as Christine Daniels....

I am a transsexual sportswriter. It has taken more than 40 years, a million tears and hundreds of hours of soul-wrenching therapy for me to work up the courage to type those words. I realize many readers and colleagues and friends will be shocked to read them.

That's OK. I understand that I am not the only one in transition as I move from Mike to Christine. Everyone who knows me and my work will be transitioning as well. That will take time. And that's all right. To borrow a piece of well-worn sports parlance, we will take it one day at a time.
Wow. Just wow. That takes some balls (pun intended). But seriously....I'm more concerned about the fact that he can just change his last name like that (I could careless about the gender change). How is that even possible....I want a new last name.

LA Times Sportswriter Admits to Being A Transexual (SbB)
Old Mike, New Christine (LA Times)

(P.S.- Prepare yourself for about 8 billion Old Adventures of New Christine references today)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 9:18 AM

3 Comments:

wow this is such a different story from anything i can remember.

Anonymous said...
Apr 26, 2007, 9:51:00 AM  

He should change his name from Mike Penner to Fred Penner. Then he could crawl through a log and play his guitar and sing to kids, too!

tecmo said...
Apr 26, 2007, 10:06:00 AM  

Man, it took some real balls (excuse me) to come out to the public this way.

Sooze said...
Apr 26, 2007, 11:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment