Okay Anonymous Commenters.....Let Me Have It (Blog Show)

Monday, March 26, 2007



This is the opportunity you've been waiting for Anonymous Commenters, Lurkers, and Spencer Tillman. It's AA's television debut. I warn you though....I don't take myself as seriously as all of you do (For those of you who "get" the site I hope my shiny skin does not turn you off entirely).

Couple of Notes:

  1. Doing TV for anything is hard (even announcing), but Dan, Jamie, and I have had no schooling and do not get paid millions of dollars.
  2. It goes fast. Dan and Jamie had enough content for a 30 minute show. It turns out all of the "in the mirror coaching" gave me about 2 seconds of actual material.
  3. Always load YouTube videos before playing them.
  4. With all of the technical errors I didn't think it went that bad, and Jamie/Dan did a great job of making light of that fact.
  5. Yes, I am a bit overweight. When you blow out a knee during an NCAA Division I sporting event.....you don't really want to stay in shape the rest of your life (Who can guess which school and which sport?)
  6. Jamie and I did not get makeup done. Sub point- I should have gone tanning.
  7. The Comcast folks did not appear to like the use of the word "banging". I did not admit that it was myself who said the word, but they probably know by now.
  8. Jamie's dig on it being "Regional Television" had me rolling off camera. I looked around......no one else was laughing.
So here the clips are in all their glory. AA Lurkers and Anonymous commenters.....go for it. I've got thick skin. Oh and try not to use the "Bloggers= Parents Basement/Underwear Line"...it's getting old.

Special thanks to Washington Post Live, Dan, and Jamie for having me on. It was great, and I hope you all have the chance to go on one day.

One more quick note before you view the vids and start your bashing. Eric from Extrapolater came to me with an idea, and I've taken him up on it. Every Friday before the end of the day Extra P will bless us with his weekly summary of everything Sports Writing. As you know I've tried this before and failed, so he's taking over duties.

His posts will be titled "The Press Buffet" (his idea, and very funny if you know any sportswriters), and the first will be everything Final Four. So for those of you that stop by on the weekend begging for a post.....you'll find him first.





P.S.- I've already heard, "You have a face for Blogging as well". So try not to recycle that one.

UPDATE: A) Thanks for not bashing even though you have every right to do so. B) Thanks for the advice....I promise not to move my hands so much time.

Blog Show #1 A Colossal Failure (Mister Irrelevant)
Wow. (DC Sports Bog)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 4:11 PM

17 Comments:

Hey, for a first show, that was good (never mind the tech errors, that's usual first show type stuff.)

AA, I'd bring myself to crack a "ghostly pale" joke since you left that category open, but I just don't have it in me today.

Signal to Noise said...
Mar 26, 2007, 4:52:00 PM  

Someone else mentioned this over at Mr. irrelevant but I'm in the same boat. You're 2 for 2 for me seeing you at/on Blog things and you're wearing that shirt.

MDG said...
Mar 26, 2007, 5:51:00 PM  

You didn't quite reach the genius and passion of the Billy Packer essay you posted here, but you covered him and your other topics well. I hope your appearance on regional tv brings a surge of hits to the site. What did your shirt say?

Oh, and the banging quota was hilarious.

Mar 26, 2007, 6:00:00 PM  

(Who can guess which school and which sport?)

Arlington Beauty Academy.

Synchronized swimming.

Scrappled said...
Mar 26, 2007, 6:23:00 PM  

Being slightly chunky and on television is not that big of a deal. :)

Especially for sports--lol

I'm in the same boat as you, plus, I don't wear makeup either.

Nice job--remember, posture makes you golden.

therod said...
Mar 26, 2007, 9:14:00 PM  

Arkansas State

Tractor Pull

Eric (Extra P.) said...
Mar 26, 2007, 9:23:00 PM  

Did anyone else notice that the graphic for the cheese actually said "Artianal"? I don't see how they can give you crap for having a banging quota if they're going to have ass-cheese.

Eric (Extra P.) said...
Mar 26, 2007, 9:30:00 PM  

for everyone around the internets, you can see Blog Show streamed live every friday at 6 pm at washingtonpost.com (and if you want to check out the rest of Washington Post Live the show streams live every day from 5 to 6:30 pm)

Anonymous said...
Mar 26, 2007, 9:44:00 PM  

I just wanted to say how handsome you looked......................................OK, not really, but it was a good show for the first go-round.

My guesses are

UW-Milwaukee

Bowling

DCScrap said...
Mar 26, 2007, 9:46:00 PM  

The only criticism I had with the show was the fact that you weren't allowed a "Tonight Show"-esque entrance after being introduced. Quite frankly, you were robbed.

The technical stuff? Could happen to anyone. I used to watch ESPN News and count the obvious mistakes that were made, so this wasn't all that bad.

My guesses:

University of Phoenix.

Croquet.

Mar 26, 2007, 9:55:00 PM  

I work in TV news, and I thought you did fine. You were personable, you had a good voice, and you weren't boring. Of course there were some ums and uhs and your gestured with your hands a lot, but there was nothing wrong with that. Dan, however, has to breathe from his diagphram and support his voice. He sounds weak, which hurts his on-air credibility. Right now he doesn't seem to belong on television. Maybe it's nerves...

Anonymous said...
Mar 26, 2007, 11:00:00 PM  

"your gestured" = "you gestured"

Anonymous said...
Mar 26, 2007, 11:04:00 PM  

I would much rather watch you guys talk about sports and blogging then watch the ass clowns over on Cold Pizza.

Maybe you guys can add a random hot girl to the panel to boost your ratings. I'm thinking Jenn Sterger might be a nice fit.

DJR said...
Mar 27, 2007, 12:58:00 AM  

That was me MDG. It went better than I expected. I caught a few episodes of the daily WaPo show while I was back in DC last week and found that kind of lacking. The Blog Show was definitely better.

twoeightnine said...
Mar 27, 2007, 4:24:00 AM  

289 suck it up and move to the mecca. You know you want to. We got fine looking women down here. And the cherry blossoms are about to come out for some excellent photo ops.

The Blog show has been the highlight of WaPo Live so far.

MDG said...
Mar 27, 2007, 9:38:00 AM  

Billy Packer reminds me of some grouchy college profs I once had; even when they're really being funny, you think they're being mean. I honestly think he was trying to "rap" with the young fellas, but his humor is just too dry for most to appreciate. Ugh, wait, am I being a BP apologist? oh well. I'll only defend him on that short clip.

MCBias said...
Mar 27, 2007, 11:07:00 AM  

You're a star, baby!

Sooze said...
Mar 27, 2007, 7:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment