Sports Emmy Awards Announced

Friday, March 23, 2007



I don't think I've ever paid attention to the Sports Emmys (Emmies?) before, but this year's list just illustrates again how stupid award shows are. There are some good nominations mixed in but they will most likely not win.

I think they are actually trying to mess with me by nominating Tim McCarver. Do they actually watch baseball? And don't get me started on Joe Buck's two nominations....really? Studio Host??? Riiiiiiight.

FYI- ESPN received a total of 43 nominations. See the eight main categories after the jump.

2007 Sports Emmy Nominations

Live Sports Show:

131st Preakness Stakes (NBC)
'06 FIFA World Cup (ABC)
MLB on Fox
NFL on CBS
The Masters (CBS)

Studio Show- Weekly:

College GameDay (ESPN)
Inside the NFL (HBO)
NBA Nation (ABC)
Sunday NFL Countdown (ESPN)
The NFL Today (CBS)

Live Sports Series:

ESPN College Football
ESPN MLB
ESPN MNF
HBO PPV Boxing
NASCAR on TNT & NBC

Studio Show Daily:

Baseball Tonight (ESPN)
Inside the NBA- Playoffs (TNT)
Olympic Ice (USA Network)
Outside the Lines (ESPN)
PTI (ESPN)

Studio Host:

James Brown (CBS)
Joe Buck (FOX)
Bob Costas (HBO/NBC)
Rich Eisen (NFL Net)
Ernie Johnson (TNT)
Jim Lampley (NBC)

Play By Play:

Marv Albert (TNT)
Joe Buck (FOX)
Al Michaels (ABC/NBC)
Jim Nantz (CBS)
Mike Tirico (ESPN)

Studio Analyst:

Charles Barkley (TNT)
Jay Bilas (ESPN)
Cris Collinsworth (HBO/NBC)
Jeff Hammond (FOX)
Kirk Herbstreit (ESPN)

Sports Event Analyst:

Jerry Bailey (ESPN)
Cris Collinsworth (NFL Network)
Tim McCarver (FOX)
Johnny Miller (NBC)
Darrell Waltrip (FOX)

Here are my winners if I had to choose:

Live Sports Special: Umm, none of them......I guess NFL on CBS. Horse racing should not be an allowable entry
Studio Show Weekly: Inside the NFL......this is the Martin Scorcese of the Sports Emmys
Live Sports Series: ESPN College Football......say what you will about Lee Corso and his baby arm, the show is really good.
Studio Show Daily: Olympic Ice.....just kidding......PTI. I love that SportsCenter didn't get a nomination though. Who watches that show anymore?
Studio Host: Ernie Johnson
Play By Play: Marv Albert.......everything I could say has already been said here.
Studio Analyst: Tough one here......I think they all could win. I'm going with Charles Barkley just because of the Bavetta Race.
Sports Event Analyst: Cris Collinsworth......he was second to Barkley in the last category so I'll throw him a bone here.

Enjoy these photos from last year's star studded event.



The Sports Emmys (Official Website)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 8:53 AM

6 Comments:

That picture of Joe Buck with an Emmy makes me lose all faith in people having any savvy evaluation of the qualities of a play-by-play person.

Seeing Craig Sager in that jacket makes me want to tear my eyes out.

Signal to Noise said...
Mar 23, 2007, 11:39:00 AM  

I don't know Craig Sager. Never met him. But that outfit makes me want to punch his mother in the mouth. is that wrong of me?

Gangsta D said...
Mar 23, 2007, 12:25:00 PM  

I'm all for criticizing ESPN whenever necessary, but their college football coverage is light years ahead of anyone else's -- especially College GameDay, which is about six levels above the other shows nominated in that category. It's impossible to overstate the decline of NFL Countdown/Primetime, Inside the NFL, or the NFL Today...which has always sucked.

I also admit being a total sucker for CBS' Masters coverage. Always have been. It's the only time I'll tolerate that crappy music.

Scrappled said...
Mar 23, 2007, 2:25:00 PM  

As for Craig Sager, he's either completely fucking insane, or the best parody of African-American fashion in the history of man.

Scrappled said...
Mar 23, 2007, 2:26:00 PM  

I love Sages... the thing is, he knows he looks absolutely ridiculous, and he takes all the jokes and everything. Got to respect that about him.

twins15 said...
Mar 24, 2007, 3:31:00 AM  

Don't people normally dress up for awards shows? All of those guys are dressed just like they're in the studio. Nobody owns a Tux? Or are the Sports Emmys so low rent that no one bothers?

Brien said...
Mar 24, 2007, 4:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment