BDSSP's Inteview With Michaels And Nantz

Wednesday, May 28, 2008


I completely forgot that the BDSSP's sitdown with Al Michaels and Jim Nantz was last night until the little reminder popped up on the television. I was switching back and forth between that and Inside the NBA, but I decided to take down a few notes and quotes.

The two were on set with Chris Rose and John Salley and the hosts took them through a series of planned questions for about 40 minutes. They covered everything from their first jobs (Al- Hawaiian Minor League Baseball, Jim- Phi Slamma Jamma) to their memorable calls all while little topic headlines would show up on the bottom of the screen.

It seemed a tad bit contrived, but on the whole it was a good set of stories and praise. Here are the highlights....
________________________

Al Michaels on the "Do you believe in Miracles?" call:

“I’m in the third person now when I watch that.”
“I don’t see anything ever topping that.”

Al Michaels on how he prepares in the booth:

“What I’ve always tried to do, is to always think of myself in the booth, but putting myself on my couch. So even though I’m the one doing the announcing or narrating, I try to envision myself on my coach at home and in effect talking to myself.”
“I don’t think we ever pitch a perfect game and we’re the luckiest people in the World.”

Al Michaels on the SF Earthquake:

“Just for a moment I thought we were going to be pitched out of the booth. It was just 15 seconds but in an earthquake that feels like 5 minutes."

Al on Jim's connection to Golf:

“How much do you watch Jim Nantz do his thing?”- Chris Rose to Al Michaels
“I think Jim has become just the quintessential voice of Golf. It’s almost the perfect melding of a man and his Sport.”- Al Michaels

Jim and Al on prepared calls:

“You go into the night with a nine shot lead, you better believe I planned that.”- Nantz
“Does win for the ages come with an asterisk now?”- Michaels
_____________________

I would have pulled video but there was nothing really worth adding here. It's definitely worth a watch if you come across a replay, and I'm enjoying the BDSSP's new format more and more each viewing.

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 10:36 AM

4 Comments:

Boring. Did Nantz at least say "Hello, friends"?

GMoney said...
May 28, 2008, 11:30:00 AM  

"“I think Jim has become just the quintessential voice of Golf. It’s almost the perfect melding of a man and his Sport.”- Al Michaels"

Just how hammered was Al last night?

E Buzz said...
May 28, 2008, 11:40:00 AM  

Jim Nantz is out of touch with the real world, and if anyone has ever heard him on what used to be the Don and Mike Show(now the Mike O'Meara Show), you know what I mean. He's one of those smarmy, slicky-boy types, that I wouldn't trust with my cat.
Al Michaels; well, he's just a cranky old man who isn't nearly as good as he used to be. Maybe it's because he spends all that time around John Madden...

UnHoly Diver said...
May 28, 2008, 12:04:00 PM  

Did Al Michaels perform Dick In A Box or is that just a poorly placed graphic in that picture?

Anonymous said...
May 28, 2008, 12:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment