Bryant Gumbel Is Battling Lung Cancer

Tuesday, December 08, 2009


Bryant Gumbel was filling in for Regis on Regis and Kelly today, and he dropped a bomb on the viewing audience. Gumbel announced that he has been receiving treatment for Lung Cancer. Via People....

The sportscaster and TV host, 61, said that he had surgery last month to remove a malignant tumor in his chest, a revelation prompted when Kelly Ripa asked Gumbel, subbing for Regis Philbin, to dance – and he begged off. According to Gumbel, part of his lung was removed, and he will be seeing his surgeon next week.

“We had told a few people, we told my family, obviously. I even kept it from my staff at Real Sports. So I’m okay for the time being. I’m hoping they greenlight me to play golf again.”- Bryant Gumbel
While I find it a bit odd that he decided to announce it on an ABC show that his filling in on, he does seem to be in good spirits about the whole thing. I obviously can't imagine what it would be like to hear that type of news, but I can guarantee I wouldn't be as cool with it as Gumbel. Good luck in beating it, Bryant.

Bryant Gumbel Has Lung Cancer (People)

2 Comments:

That's a real barrel of laughs. Comedic timing!

Anonymous said...
Dec 8, 2009, 4:44:00 PM  

Regis and Kelly is syndicated. It is not an "ABC" show. This is basic knowledge.

Where is the awful "awful announcing" site?

JFreak said...
Dec 9, 2009, 4:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment