Dan Fouts Takes Us To Halelujah Land

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Last night's broadcast was just awful, but I think ESPN lucked out in the end. They lucked out because the game got so high scoring that there wasn't any time for filler. If there was any extra downtime last night I would have lost my shit. Dan Fouts was just too damn funny. He ran the gamut of Awful Announcing......cut people off, talked about himself, messed up names, called plays wrong, dragged his partner Tim Brant down to his level, and was just downright incomprehensible. To tell you the truth I thought he had retired because I haven't heard him call a game the entire season.

It didn't help that ESPN's production was off as well. In the first quarter everyone went to break except the production truck. The commercials started but immediately cut back to the game in the middle of a play. Neither Daniel nor Timothy said anything for about a minute. (I also knew it was a bad omen when Bobby Bowden introduced the 'Noles and Bill Walton introduced the Bruins.)

But back to Fouts and another thing I was unaware of......he's a PbP guy now? When did this happen??? And if he wasn't the PbP guy.....he was fighting with Brant for airtime. It was just awkward. It seems like Fouts is near the end of his rope. He wasn't THAT bad of a color guy, and I think Dennis Miller ruined him for good.

Fouts calls were such a stretch that one point he compared UCLA QB Pat Cowan to Roger Staubach.....because they were both wearing the #12?!?!

I'm pretty sure that this was the duo's last game of the season....we can only hope so. Actually, for the site's sake I hope not....that way we can get some more quotes like these.....

"This one's starting to have the aroma of a barn burner!"- DF

"As Jack talked about this is a flat field because it's a baseball field"- DF

"Steve Barth our referee from the USA.....Conference."- DF

"Booker looks looked like he was heading to halelujah land"- TB

"And the fair catch is signaled and....IT'S MIFFED!"- DF

......and I'm miffed that I had to listen to those two ass-hats.

Update: One thing I forgot to mention. Dan Fouts' dad was a famous announcer for the 49ers. It looks like the apple fell pretty far from the tree.

Update Numero Dos: Flubby from KSK points me in the right direction. A Hiestand Column from May explains the change.
Says Fouts: "It's been in the back of my mind for years. It's a new challenge."


Posted by Awful Announcing- at 9:52 AM

5 Comments:

Yeah, Fouts does PBP now...

http://tinyurl.com/nr4ze

flubby said...
Dec 28, 2006, 12:09:00 PM  

If they would pair Fouts with, say, Mike Gottfried next year, you'd be flush in stupid quotes for the whole college football season.

Signal to Noise said...
Dec 28, 2006, 12:14:00 PM  

Most people get their first PbP chance doing high school football on a small town radio station. Or on a college station. Not ESPfreakingN. That really made no sense at all.

But, I'm sure FOX would put him in the booth with somebody.

Jay said...
Dec 28, 2006, 1:11:00 PM  

The reason why you haven't seen Fouts all year is because you wouldn't see him unless you watched Oregon games all year. He was basically on the Oregon/PAC-10 tour and never left the West Coast to call a game. I spotted one game for ESPN for the Fresno State-Oregon game back in September and I was shocked too that Fouts did PBP now...he switched this year and I always thought it was strange because he's a lot better being the color guy.

Anonymous said...
Dec 28, 2006, 1:30:00 PM  

I've always enjoyed Fouts... he's not half bad as a color guy. But I haven't heard him as a PBP since Pac-10 games never seem to be on TV East of the Great Salt Lake unless Notre Dame is involved.

Just wondering, AA, but do you like any announcers? Like who would you consider as the five best in any sport?

Otter said...
Dec 28, 2006, 5:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment