Jerry Remy Taking A Leave Of Absence

Wednesday, May 06, 2009


Man, talk about a downer to start your Thursday. NESN's Jerry Remy has told the masses that he's taking a leave of absence because of a recurring problem, which was at one point cancerous. Here is his statement in full, via Sawx Heads....

In November I had a very small, low-grade cancerous area removed from my lung. I was fortunate that it was discovered at an early stage. Except for the surgery, I required no additional treatments. I left the hospital with a clean bill of health.

Unfortunately, following the surgery, I developed a bad infection further compounded by a case of pneumonia. It was the pneumonia and the infection that set me back. This all happened just as I was leaving for spring training.

In hindsight, it was a mistake to go and I am paying the price for it now. As NESN announced, I am taking a leave of absence so that I can fully recover.

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for the outpouring of concern you have given me recently. I honestly appreciate it. Secondly, I want to emphasize that I am in good shape now.

While physically I have no issues, the past few months have been emotionally draining, and exhausting for both my family and I. Along those lines, I would like to thank NESN and the Red Sox for allowing me to take as much time as I need. I am not certain exactly when I will return, but I will keep you posted. I want to make sure that when I do return I can be with the team all the way to the 2009 World Series!

I hope that by stating all this publicly it will emphasize the dangers of smoking to everyone, especially children. So, once again, I appreciate all your support and I would like to emphasize – if you don’t smoke, don’t start, and if you do smoke, try to quit! I don’t say that lightly because I know how difficult it can be.

Thanks,
Jerry
Man, well hopefully those of you who smoke can head his words, and hopefully Jerry gets better....and back in full on crazy action....real, real soon.

Personal Update from The RemDawg (Sawx Heads)

Posted by Awful Announcing at 10:04 PM

14 Comments:

This is all a lie. He is actually going to the Twin Cities to try and squash Simmons' GM candidacy one crumpled up piece of paper at a time.

GMoney said...
May 7, 2009, 10:47:00 AM  

What a homer.

Unknown said...
May 7, 2009, 11:30:00 AM  

I don't know who he is.

FightingPike said...
May 7, 2009, 12:05:00 PM  

Finally NESN subscribers have some answers about Jerry. Hopefully he returns healthy before long. It's so true that sometimes you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. Remy is truly one of the greatest Analysts ever.

As for the 1st 3 comments...go play in the street losers!

Monty said...
May 7, 2009, 3:10:00 PM  

Man

Ryan said...
May 7, 2009, 5:19:00 PM  

FYI, his replacement so far has been Dennis Eckersley.

Hope Jerry gets well.

Ted McCarver said...
May 7, 2009, 6:42:00 PM  

This isnt time for jokes, the man has problems. Love or hate the Sox, he is a tremendous broadcaster who insightfully entertains fans night after night. It is hard to imagine Red Sox games without him, and I hope he has a speedy recovery.

BS Animation said...
May 8, 2009, 12:29:00 AM  

Looks like AA is taking a leave of absence, too.

JFreak said...
May 8, 2009, 12:33:00 PM  

Exactly, who gives a fuck about Remy when the whereabouts of AA are unknown!!!

GMoney said...
May 8, 2009, 4:07:00 PM  

Do we need to put out an APB for AA? I need him to help me procrasnate on stuff.

walnuts said...
May 9, 2009, 8:48:00 AM  

I heard Nancy Grace will devote her entire show trying to track AA if he doesn't show up by Monday morning.

May 9, 2009, 3:05:00 PM  

AA owes me money. Where the f are you?

Ryan said...
May 9, 2009, 11:00:00 PM  

So, I'm guessing this blog is gone the way of the dodo - or being folded into something more profitable.

Unknown said...
May 10, 2009, 12:32:00 AM  

Thanks for the concern. In LA for past four days comforting Manny. Will be back tomorrow morning.


Brian Powell a.k.a AA 1:05 May 10th

Faux Twitter said...
May 10, 2009, 1:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment