John Madden Is Just Fine With Retirement, Thank You

Thursday, August 20, 2009


If I had spent 30+ years, doing the exact same thing each Summer, I don't know what I would do with myself if I didn't have to do it anymore. Apparently John Madden is going through that feeling now, but it doesn't seem to be bothering him. In an interview with the LA Times, he tells the paper that he's enjoying himself and isn't exactly leaving Football entirely....

Q: How’s retirement treating you?
Madden: It’s going well for me. But you know, it really hasn’t started yet. I retired from broadcasting football. So far, it’s been the off-season for me. The Hall of Fame game is the first game I would have done. So I really haven’t retired from anything until football season starts.

Q: Will you spending a lot more time on the virtual gridiron now?
Madden: That’s one thing I’m really looking forward to. Each week I’m going to watch all the games. I have this thing being built right now where I have nine 63-inch monitors. And I’m going to be able to put every game on television. I can watch them all at the same time.

Then I’m going to see more. When I was broadcasting, I would just zero in on the game I was doing. Doing this, I’m going to see more. I’m going to see all the trends. I’m going to see what every team does. Those trends and the things that they’re doing in the games on Sundays, those are the things we will put in the game.
While the above statement was in reference to his work on the 2011 edition of the Madden video game, there are rumors that you'll be hearing a lot of Madden on the radio. There are already talks to get him on Sirius, and you can expect a lot of guest appearance on shows throughout the country, as the season progresses.

John Madden talks about the virtual gridiron, the Madden Curse and life outside of the broadcasting booth (LA Times)

Posted by Awful Announcing at 2:07 PM

4 Comments:

He is having nine 63inch TVs installed to watch DirecTV's football package, I have never been more envious of rich bastards in my life. But does he realize that at any given moment 1/3 of his setup will be polluted by the Browns, Lions and Rams.

Aug 20, 2009, 2:44:00 PM  

@Awful Announcing, Madden will be on Comcast BayArea tonight on their show "Chronicle Live". I will try and get video.

49er16 said...
Aug 20, 2009, 3:00:00 PM  

This is how you retire, Favre.

GMoney said...
Aug 20, 2009, 4:07:00 PM  

Amen GMoney, Amen and Amen.

Brad James said...
Aug 21, 2009, 1:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment