WNBA Unis To Feature McDonald's Logo For A Weekend Or More

Friday, May 16, 2008


WNBA posts are few and far between on this site, but I thought this one was interesting enough to post. The WNBA is opening their season this weekend with Los Angeles and World Champion Phoenix (who knew?) on ABC, but that's not the whole story. Both teams will be sporting Mickey D's logos and the league will be promoting the hell out of some new sandwich....

Women’s National Basketball Association players will wear McDonald’s golden arches on their jerseys for each team’s season opener as part of a marketing alliance between the women’s pro basketball league and the fast food giant this season.

McDonald’s is posting up as presenting partner of the WNBA tip-off games on May 17 to push a new Southern Style Chicken Biscuit and Sandwich. In addition to the season openers, the red-and-yellow logo will be on jerseys during two national telecasts: the Sacramento Monarchs-Seattle Storm May 20 match-up on ESPN and the May 24 San Antonio Silver Spurs-Seattle Storm contest on ABC.
I don't know about you but it's going to take more than a crappy free sandwich to get me interested in the WNBA. If they gave away cars like Oprah then I might attend a Mystics game, but until then I'm going to pretend the league doesn't exist.

Plus the free sandwich deal was yesterday and I'm really just bitter I didn't get one. Look at the pic up there. Doesn't that look appetizing? No??? Okay good.

WNBA Jerseys to Carry McDonald’s Logo in Season Openers (Promo Magazine)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 2:39 PM

9 Comments:

That sandwich is supposed to be some sort of rip-off of Chik-fil-A. What I find funny is that the one TV ad I saw for it had a very distinct Hispanic flavor to it. I hope I'm not sounding insensitive here, but for some reason I'm failing to see the connection between Southern culture and Hispanic culture. Anyone wish to help me out here?

Anonymous said...
May 16, 2008, 3:51:00 PM  

I don't think that WNBA fans are in the same demographic as people that polish off McDonald's three times a week.

GMoney said...
May 16, 2008, 3:59:00 PM  

I scanned the post and thought they were promoting the Southern Dyke Chicken Biscuit.

Lou said...
May 16, 2008, 4:29:00 PM  

Some one might suggest that it is more appropriate for the WNBA to sponsor the McDonald's Filet of Fish sandwich.

I will not make that suggestion.

Anonymous said...
May 16, 2008, 5:00:00 PM  

Come to think of it, maybe McDonald's wouldn't be as good of a fit for this league as say.....Arby's????

Anonymous said...
May 16, 2008, 6:16:00 PM  

Wait....nah still don't care.

Anonymous said...
May 16, 2008, 8:17:00 PM  

When did McDonalds start serving tuna sandwiches?

Anonymous said...
May 16, 2008, 9:59:00 PM  

Wouldn't a "Love My Carpet" patch be more apropos?

Off topic, but when ESPN said "If you want to see the start of Lakers-Jazz, go to ESPN Classic," I don't think they intended on 7 consecutive minutes of commercials to be on instead. Morons.

Anonymous said...
May 16, 2008, 10:57:00 PM  

ESPN.com's front page: why is there a bald man standing next to a couple of LA Sparks players??

Anonymous said...
May 17, 2008, 2:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment