Buck's HBO Show To Be 90 Minutes, Town Hallish

Friday, February 06, 2009


So the details surrounding Joe Buck's new show on HBO are slowly starting to take shape, and Sports Business Daily has a few of the more interesting angles and ideas. According to SBD, the show will be 90 minutes in length, air quarterly and take on the town hall format that people responded to so well. Not only that, but Buck is even suggesting that they keep the name "Costas Now"....

HBO Sports Thursday announced the hiring of Fox' Joe Buck in the wake of Bob Costas' departure to MLB Network. Buck will host a sports talk show starting this May that will air on a quarterly basis and likely will utilize a town-hall format. HBO Sports President Ross Greenburg: "We will build a show around Joe that will showcase his personality and his talent and … there will be some comedic elements as well.” Buck added the show "will be different," but admitted some of the details were still undetermined. Buck: "We don't even have a name for it. I suggested to Ross that we keep 'Costas Now.'" Buck also said he "would like to bring in other elements" outside of just sports. Buck: "I don't think that keeping it straight sports all the time is something that really suits me best. ... This is going to be a unique look"
The biggest question, I have about the show, is if they are going to go straight Sports or make it more of a late night talk show format. Both could actually work, and while I think Joe Buck isn't the greatest PbPer, people might respond to him in as a talk show host. Obviously you have to find a balance between non-Sports and Sports, but I'm not totally discounting HBO and Buck actually pulling it off. I'll be sure to keep you updated as things progress.

HBO Sports Hires Buck To Host Show In Wake Of Costas Exit (Sports Business Daily - $)

7 Comments:

A good title for the show would be, "Go Buck Yourself".

GMoney said...
Feb 6, 2009, 1:25:00 PM  

I'm with GMoney, I don't really care for Joe Buck and I don't watch HBO, so in all honesty I don't really care.

Brad James said...
Feb 6, 2009, 1:27:00 PM  

I hope this show is on weeknights at around 11:00pm. It would surely help put me to sleep.

Ted Hill said...
Feb 6, 2009, 1:39:00 PM  

Joe should change his name to Joe Buick.

Will the show have a running Smug-O-Meter? 90 minutes of Smug.

E Buzz said...
Feb 6, 2009, 1:40:00 PM  

Oh yay! I always wanted Joe Buck's insight on what's going on on The Bachelor.

Justin F. said...
Feb 6, 2009, 2:41:00 PM  

I hate Joe Buck, and there's a good take on this here: http://bootleggersports.com/archives/981

Feb 6, 2009, 5:55:00 PM  

"I don't think that keeping it straight sports all the time is something that really suits me best. ..."

Hmmm. He's been involved in sports for the past decade and a half, but that's not his niche??

I think they should require Buck to open every show with a little song and dance.

Anonymous said...
Feb 9, 2009, 8:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment