Stephen A. Smith Says Goodbye To ESPN

Monday, April 20, 2009


You would think that Stephen A. Smith would be a little bit more bitter after ESPN decided to not renew his contract, but he's surprisingly not. The outspoken one even penned a post on his blog to his soon-to-be former employer, and thanked them for the opportunity. Via StephenA.com....

My last day at ESPN is May 1. It’s been a wonderful, wonderful ride, filled with great accomplishments, great memories and, most importantly, great friendships. It’s difficult to express how appreciative I am to everyone at ESPN for all they’ve done for my career. But nothing lasts forever. It’s time to move on.

While my love for sports has never dissipated– of course, I’ll never let go of sports– my desire to venture beyond sports into the world of news, politics and entertainment has grown. Where that will take me? Who knows, but you can keep up with me right here on StephenA.com as well as on Twitter to find out! I’ll just be moving on with some degree of sadness, remembering all the friends I’ll leave behind.
Well that's big of him. To be honest, SAS had started to grow on me a bit. And while I can't stand some of his schtick, I can't say that he lacked the passion and know-how to cover Basketball for the "Leader". Godspeed Mr. Cheez Doodlez....your volume level will be missed.

Goodbye ESPN!!! (StephenA.com)

8 Comments:

If only he had just turned down his voice, he would have been excellent on NBA coverage.

GMoney said...
Apr 20, 2009, 4:06:00 PM  

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

Anonymous said...
Apr 20, 2009, 5:00:00 PM  

Nice move. Cut loose Stuart Scott and Skip Bayless and I could begin watching regularly again.

Creepy said...
Apr 20, 2009, 5:45:00 PM  

What hiphop loudmouth will replace him?

Rob Parker?

E Buzz said...
Apr 20, 2009, 7:36:00 PM  

Is Scoop Jackson still on ESPN's payroll, Wags?

Apr 20, 2009, 7:48:00 PM  

To quote Curly Bill from Tombstone, "Well... bye."

UnHoly Diver said...
Apr 20, 2009, 11:11:00 PM  

I think Scoop is too awful even by ESPN's standards.

E Buzz said...
Apr 21, 2009, 9:15:00 AM  

The fact that Stephen Angry is leaving while they keep the entire First Take crew, some of the mush-mouth former players they have as analysts (Tim Hasselbeck, Matthew Barnaby, Avery Johnson and Jalen Rose) is beyond me. Stephen A. is informative (no one knows the player side of the NBA better than him; Broussard is a joke and they don't use Bucher enough, relying instead on Stein, who isn't that plugged-in) and entertaining (his passion is undeniable).

Ed said...
Apr 21, 2009, 10:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment