Seattle is a Hotbed for Soccer......

Thursday, August 10, 2006

While I've been tearing Simmons' articles apart there's been some pretty good Soccer being played here in the U.S.

Apparently some genius decided to have DC United play Real Madrid at 11pm EST (at Qwest field in Seattle), and on local cable only. The game is tied 1-1 at the half on two pretty goals from Cassano and Elecko Eskandarian. Real Madrid is definitely the stronger team and has had about 4 near misses, but United is hanging in there.

I think I'm sticking it out for the rest of the game (if I don't pass out). No one seems to be talking about these games, so if I'm not back on tonight I'll have more tomorrow. Dave Johnson and Grant Lagerway (sp?) are our announcers, and have some jetlag so I'll go easy on them.

***UPDATE***- Well I did make it through the rest of the game, and while the second half was exciting there was no scoring and we ended in a 1-1 tie.

Perhaps the most exciting moment came on a free kick from right outside the box. Roberto Carlos crushed (and by crushed I mean it was the hardest ball I've ever seen kicked) a ball past the wall, and Troy Perkins made one hell of a save. Well somehow the ball went to the right side of the net and then sent back across off the post, and then magically cleared off the line.

It was a good game and I could get into soccer if there were more of these games in the middle of each League's season. Since it's preseason for EPL most of the players are not conditioned well, and there are a ton of subs.

On a side note: This DC United team is pretty special. They crushed Celtic earlier on this year, the MLS All-Star Team (made up of almost all United Players) upset Chelsea, and they tied one of the best teams in Europe last night.

I think I might actually go to a game for the first time in my life.

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 12:07 AM

7 Comments:

Soccer! Madrid! Washington DC! Seattle! Ties! Cable!

Anonymous said...
Aug 10, 2006, 8:59:00 AM  

local cable? why?

SAMO said...
Aug 10, 2006, 1:07:00 PM  

They apparently scheduled this game about a month ago and RFK had a baseball game. I'll have more on that and the local cable situation here tomorrow.

Aug 10, 2006, 3:18:00 PM  

Is the guy in the picture wearing a helmet?

Anonymous said...
Aug 10, 2006, 8:10:00 PM  

AA, I go to school in Baltimore and i am DEF attending a DC game this fall. I have to do it.

Plus, go Barca against Red Bulls Saturday night. I'm going and hopefully Ronaldinho will show his magic.

Anonymous said...
Aug 10, 2006, 9:47:00 PM  

So you might go to a game? Can I come with you....

Anonymous said...
Aug 11, 2006, 1:43:00 PM  

When, exactly, would you LIKE them to schedule a game in Seattle? You know, oddly enough, when east coast baseball teams play on the west coast, their games start later, too. Don't know if you've noticed that or not.

Anonymous said...
Aug 13, 2006, 12:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment