Smart and Smarter

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

So Scott Miller at CBS Sportsline (my new go to site besides Rotoworld) has written a Soriano/Nats Article, along with everyone else in the world.

I guess the only reason that I'm jumping on the writers today is because I've been right so far, and why should I stop now? All we fans hope for these days (especially in DC) is saying that you're going to try for us. Up until recently zero teams "tried" for us (well except for DC United)....the Wizards wouldn't put up the money, and the Redskins were trying to re-invent the sport with the Wonderful Spurrier Experiment (which is the new name of my band, if I had one).

Writers are hypocritical....I get that. But sometimes it's mind-boggling. All you ever hear is them bitch and moan about Vince Carter'esqe trades. You know the ones that they call "25 cents on the dollar trades". That's what this was going to be.....there were certain players the Nats wanted and no one offered them. I think the Twins deal was the only one that would have made it close with Garza being in the mix, but they were right in not trading him away. (That rotation is going to be sick for the next 5 years by the way)

On the other hand.....I do think Bowden is normally an idiot. The only reason I say normally is because of the recent trade with the Reds. How Livan Hernandez is still with the team is beyond me. But I'm hoping his turned a corner in his GM life, and can learn from his past mistakes.

I'm going to slowdown before I turn this into a DC specific blog (I will leave that to DC Sports Chick (she does a great job, and actually is positive...unlike me), but I think that having the options of A) Soriano in DC for the next 5 years....or B) Getting three 1st round Draft Picks in next years draft. Is much better than C) No Soriano and 2-3 potential MLB Players/Busts.

DC Sports fans are impatient....I know I am. Whether they want to believe it yet or not this is a Big Market Team. If they spend the money to have a competitive team by 2008 they will sell that new stadium out like it's their job (and it is). And if they aren't competitive well.....Welcome 15-20 Thousand Mets/Braves Fans to the New RFK.

I will leave you with a quote to sum up how I feel....from the immortal Lloyd Christmas:

Lloyd: What are the chances of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
Mary: Well, that's pretty difficult to say.
Lloyd: Hit me with it! I've come a long way to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance!

Deadspin also has more articles from people thinking the opposite of me.

Also Bowden will be on the Brian Mitchell Show (just awful) at 2pm today click here for the stream

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 10:21 AM

8 Comments:

What happend to all the one-in-a-million talk?

A.T. Bianchi said...
Aug 1, 2006, 11:48:00 AM  

The Brian Mitchell Show would be the worst show in the history of sports radio...if it weren't for the show on right after it. The John Thompson Show makes me want to crash into a guard rail everyday.

T.J. said...
Aug 1, 2006, 1:03:00 PM  

Amen TJ....Amen.

Aug 1, 2006, 1:07:00 PM  

The John Thompson Show isn't that bad, come on... unlike most other sports talk radio shows it doesn't dumb everything down or try to act like a bunch of Frat Boys.

The worst sports radio shows are the ones that ESPN has been trying to fill since Kornheiser told them to get bend three or four years ago? Who is that guy who knows nothing about everything? Colin something or other... talk about no talent ass clowns. Who did he sleep with?

Otter said...
Aug 1, 2006, 4:56:00 PM  

Thanks for the shout-out. I'd like to be more optimistic about Bowden, but he's hopeless.

DCSportsChick said...
Aug 1, 2006, 5:43:00 PM  

I don't live in the DC area so I don't know about their local radio but I do know that Jim Bowden is a moron. That is unless they decide they are gonna open their pockets up to Soriano and he will remain a Nat for a long time. I hope that is the case, otherwise not trading Soriano makes no sense at all.

SAMO said...
Aug 1, 2006, 6:34:00 PM  

As a fellow DC native and Nats fan, I'm definetly with you on this one. The Nats need to build up a fan base desperately. Trading away the team's most marketable player for 25 cents on the dollar certainly isn't the way to do that. I really would like to see the team make a legitimate long-term commitment to Soriano this summer.

Also, the Brian Mitchell show is complete trash. He definetly does not have any radio voice, and it's painful to listen to. The John Thompson show is a lot better, even if Thompson rambles on and on sometimes.

Pradamaster said...
Aug 2, 2006, 2:16:00 PM  

Nats fans should just be happy Bowden didn't trade away any of their pitching (well, minus Bray and Majewski).

I would have liked to see him trade Soriano for some talent to put in their depleted farm system. What is the chance Soriano's value continues to rise? He has been out of this world all year long, eventually he's going to come down to earth and his trade value will go down too.

And I'll also chime in on the Brian Mitchell Show - freakin' awful. It didn't get better the second time I listened to it.

And Kudos to AA for breaking out Super Troopers references at Deadspin.

Anonymous said...
Aug 2, 2006, 4:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment