Mad Dog Goes On Stern, All Hell Breaks Out In NYC

Thursday, February 12, 2009


I never thought I'd see the day that Howard Stern and Chris "Mad Dog" Russo would be in the same studio, but I guess when you work for the same company it's bound to happen. Russo went on Stern yesterday, and after a lengthy conversation about all things Sports radio, and his strained relationship with former co-host Mike Francesa, everyone in New York City decided to start trash talking everyone. The three main opponents were Russo, Francesa and Neil Best at Newsday decided to transcribe some of the action, and here's what a day in New York Sports Radio looks like....

Russo's quotes on Stern: "It depends who you ask. Their ratings, from an FAN perspective, seem to be the same. I have spoken to some other people at 1050 ESPN that said they’ve gotten murdered in certain parts of the tri-state area, Jersey for instance. And if you noticed, ESPN, they moved their show."

"I hear the quality of the show, he misses the energy, he does this, he does that, and I miss Mike, too. It goes both ways. So I’ve heard that. But as far as, Chris, did you see or look at this, that this rating was 10 percent less than when you were there? No."

Finally, Russo conceded ratings were down, just to shut up Stern. "There’s been a little bit of a decrease, if it makes you happy. I’ve got pride, of course."

Francesa: "As sure as I’m sitting here, they’re never catching me, and you can underline that, OK? So the idea that they’re chasing me down in Jersey or they’re chasing me down somewhere, well, you know what, bring friends and ban everybody you can ban and bring a whole lot more ammunition than you have so far, because you have never gotten close, and you never will, as long as I’m sitting here.

"If you’re going to come after us, then you better bring more than pea shooters. Because you know what? The FAN has been No. 1 here for 20 years and it’s going to be No. 1 long after I’m gone. But while I’m sitting here, you can be damn sure it’s going to be No. 1."

Michael Kay: "I'll take the high road. I'm very happy with my life and my standing and find no need to lash out at others. I leave that to those that are seemingly less content with what they've been blessed with."
Well then. It's nice to see that everyone has been getting along since the breakup. I'm not going to pretend to know what radio ratings are like in New York City, but as long as these three keep going at it, they will probably continue to be strong. Good job by Kay not to get into the mess between two former colleagues, but sooner or later he's going to be sucked in. Good times!

I'd love to get video up, but unfortunately Comcast blows, and they won't update On Demand for weeks at a time.

Chris Russo flies first class for Sirius, 'which is fair' (Watchdog)
Mike Francesa-Bill Parcells relationship on the rocks (Watchdog)
You heard from Russo and Francesa; now it's Kay's turn (Watchdog)

Posted by Awful Announcing at 11:15 AM

7 Comments:

Michael Kay has nothing to say because Michael Kay is an idiot.

GMoney said...
Feb 12, 2009, 11:58:00 AM  

Russo was very energetic on the Stern show yesterday. But he didn't deliberately trash talk Francesca. In fact, the only negative thing, should you take it that way, was that he said Francesca decided to skip radio row at the Super Bowl and do his show 8 blocks away at a hotel. Thus, he didn't have as many guests on his show as Russo did on radio row.

Mikey said...
Feb 12, 2009, 12:04:00 PM  

Howard Eskin is better than both of them. Philadelphia sports talk beats the tar out of New York sports talk anyday.

Brad James said...
Feb 12, 2009, 1:17:00 PM  

Agree about the Philly sports comment, but these two have a soap opera that won't go away in New York. Michael Kay is too busy being in bed with the Yankees to think of anything coherent to say about this. Mad Dog's show is getting better on Sirius, but the problem is how many are listening?

Anonymous said...
Feb 12, 2009, 3:11:00 PM  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OYcyiqCABc

Francesa's salvo

Unknown said...
Feb 12, 2009, 4:11:00 PM  

Anybody out there who doesn't know who Howard Eskin is here is what you will hear every hour of every show.:

Caller: Howard I believe this ___ about sports.
Howard: You are a nitwit. Next caller.

Repeat the above for 4 hours. NOW THATS GREAT RADIO!.

Unknown said...
Feb 12, 2009, 4:22:00 PM  

"Howard Eskin is better than both of them. Philadelphia sports talk beats the tar out of New York sports talk anyday."

Ha! That is the funniest shit I've heard in awhile.

Feb 14, 2009, 11:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment