Jeanne Zelasko Trying To Become First Female MLB PxPer

Monday, December 29, 2008


I personally thought that the MLB on FOX pregame show was just about the biggest waste of time on television, and was extremely happy when they decided to drop it for this year. It wasn't because of any one person, but rather all parties involved were just not right for a Studio show.

With that said, it comes as a huge surprise now that the Dodgers are actually considering hiring host, Jeanne Zelasko as their play-by-play voice. Zelasko has been "beating down their door" following the move of Charley Steiner to radio, and there seems her hiring could become a reality soon. Via The Arizona Republic....

Zelasko said it is understandable that the Dodgers asked her if she ever had done baseball play-by-play - the answer is no - but she had that role for ice-skating and gymnastics competitions.

"But I've been around baseball for a very long time, and Kevin Kennedy, who should be managing somewhere, taught me more about that the game than I think most people could even consider. I was blessed to be next to him for eight years. So I'm excited. I don't know if they'll bite."

She knows the experience and gender factors are not in her favor, but she has conquered the odds before. She was the first female reporter to walk the NASCAR pits, and she has handled other "firsts" with relative ease.

"Honestly, I have walked on this thin ice before with anything I've ever done in my broadcasting career," she said. "As I was telling the Dodgers, I would never ask for something I thought I would fail at. I think it's gonna take the right woman at the right time, and if I may be so bold, I believe that person's me."
I don't know if she's the best option out there at the moment, but it would be interesting to hear a female voice in Baseball. I say the Dodgers try her out for a bit, and if it works great, if not....no harm done.

Zelasko also says she is winning her battle with thyroid Cancer, which is definitely a great thing.

Zelasko seeks Dodgers' play-by-play gig (Arizona Republic)
Jeanne Zelasko Looking To Become MLB's First Female Play-By-Play Announcer (Vent About Sports)

Posted by Awful Announcing at 12:14 PM

15 Comments:

Well, Dodger fans--or baseball fans in general--could be happy that she's on the raido and don't have to see her on tv anymore.

Anonymous said...
Dec 29, 2008, 12:41:00 PM  

Just great! What's next, let them vote?

Anonymous said...
Dec 29, 2008, 12:46:00 PM  

Ice skating and gymnastics, hmm?

Her gender shouldn't be a factor, not at all. But I'd much prefer to see some better qualifications. Baseball's a deceptively tough game to call: you've got to fill the dead time, and you've got to know when to shut up for the exciting moments. She's very likely to get off to a rough start -- and that would hurt the cause of women in the broadcast booth.

jvwalt said...
Dec 29, 2008, 1:30:00 PM  

Pam Ward and Suzyn Waldman make me feel that women in the booth is a horrible idea.

GMoney said...
Dec 29, 2008, 1:31:00 PM  

Maybe she should sit by Vin Scully for a few more years to see how it's done right. Then she should consider going back to NASCAR.

Anonymous said...
Dec 29, 2008, 2:10:00 PM  

Suzyn Waldman does color for the Yankees so this wouldnt be that much of a stretch for a woman,....i personally cant stand Jeanne voice but since i hate the Dodgers let them go for it

N Garrett said...
Dec 29, 2008, 2:21:00 PM  

to walnuts:

she wants to become their TV voice, Steiner moved from TV to radio.

Sudi said...
Dec 29, 2008, 2:57:00 PM  

I listen to a lot of radio baseball on XM, and just can't stand it when Suzyn Waldman comes on Yankee broadcasts. I don't really care because I wouldn't get her on the radio, but I wouldn't want to see her doing the Cardinal games I watch.

MMayes said...
Dec 29, 2008, 5:41:00 PM  

Steiner did TV for the Dodgers for road games east of Colorado (so not that often really.) She can't be that much worse than Steiner, but being compared to Vin Scully would be horrible for someone with very little play by play experience.

Anonymous said...
Dec 29, 2008, 9:28:00 PM  

Her being on the FOX MLB Pregame might just get her the job

Anonymous said...
Dec 30, 2008, 8:35:00 AM  

This Jeanne bitch is wack and ugly anyway.

Anonymous said...
Dec 30, 2008, 3:52:00 PM  

When does voting for the "Jeanne" awards begin? Sure, its not like winning a Pammie, but its close.

Chango said...
Dec 30, 2008, 4:48:00 PM  

why does she think she should be in baseball? shes terrible at saying now steve what do you think about the red sox? in studio shows, what makes her think that we want to hear her do real games. she should get back into the kitchen and make me a sandwhich. and while shes at it get pam ward and waldman with her. i cant stand waldman on the yankees, which im a fan of, her and sterling make it impossible for me to listen to the yankees on the radio.

women need to learn to get out of the booth, and stay off the sidelines, be in the studio if they want, as long as there only doing highlights, and nothing else

Anonymous said...
Dec 30, 2008, 6:00:00 PM  

I always thought she was a dude

Anonymous said...
Dec 30, 2008, 8:48:00 PM  

"Baseball's a deceptively tough game to call: you've got to fill the dead time"

The problem with most baseball announcers is thinking you have to fill every bit of silence. ESPN announcers are notorious with this. They never STFU

Anonymous said...
Jan 3, 2009, 4:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment