Rob Dibble Does Not Like What He Sees In DC

Friday, July 10, 2009


With the O's on an off-night last evening, I decided to watch the Nationals-Astros game. After watching the Nats squander about five runs, and blow a three run lead in the sixth, I decided to turn it off. Luckily, I had that option, but Nationals announcer Rob Dibble didn't, and he made sure the viewing audience knew that.

Dibble spoke with Ray Knight on the post game show after the loss, and not only called the team tough to watch, but even accused players of "mailing it in". Via DC Sports Bog....

"Well, I've seen it all year," Dibble said. "You have a team that came off a 102-loss season....Guys just aren't getting to balls, they're not trying, they're not diving, and more importantly, guys aren't calling them out....

"Listen, our guys aren't doing as well as the other team," he continued. "They need to be playing a lot harder than they are. What I'm saying is, it's not so much mailing it in physically, but mentally, some of these guys, they're happy after a ball game when they get their butts whipped, they're happy and smiling like it's funny when they're getting beat in day in and day out and embarrassed on that field. I know Manny Acta and I know these coaches are busting their butts to get the most out of these guys, but the players, they don't expect that out of each other in that locker room. That's what I'm saying.

"Somebody needs to point a finger in there and say, 'Enough's enough. You guys are on my team, you've got to go out there and back me up.' John Lannan deserved better out of his bullpen, he deserves better defensively, and he definitely damn well deserves better offensively after what he's done the last six outings on a bad ballclub....So for me to watch a guy like John Lannan, who I think has a huge heart, and he goes out there, he never mails it in, I think there's a lot of guys who should apologize to him."
Obviously I'm not able to agree, because I've been to one Nats game all year (against the O's), but as Ray Knight pointed out later in the talk....when you have 90 errors at the All-Star break AND a .298 winning percentage....something has to change. It's refreshing to hear an announcer tell the truth on-air, but if I were Rob Dibble, I'd watch my back. People who are bash their employer like that usually don't last too long.

You can also watch the video here, if you'd like.

Rob Dibble on the Nats: "It's Pathetic" (DC Sports Bog)

Posted by Awful Announcing at 12:08 PM

7 Comments:

Watching Nats and O's games? Ouch.

GMoney said...
Jul 10, 2009, 1:25:00 PM  

The fact that I'm an O's fan explains why I could care less about MLB most of the time. Things could be worse for Dibble though, he could get paid two or three times a year, which is my average at Mid-Utah Radio.

Brad James said...
Jul 10, 2009, 1:35:00 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andy said...
Jul 10, 2009, 2:48:00 PM  

At least Dibble is getting paid to watch the Nats. He could be suffering at home or having to buy an actual ticket. The Nationals should be mathematically eliminated from MLB

Andy said...
Jul 10, 2009, 2:50:00 PM  

It is fitting that Rob Dibble is broadcasting for the Nationals. That is all that I will say.

Nathan Brice said...
Jul 10, 2009, 3:25:00 PM  

It would be refreshing to hear that from anyone but Dibble. I guess he may have just lost his patience recently, but I watch a lot of their games (O's fan too, but I have 2 TV's and the Nats are always on) and he's spent the entire season defending the Nats as they make those errors.

I've heard him making excuses for the players all season long on air and talk about how "unlucky" the team is.

Bazooka Jones said...
Jul 11, 2009, 12:19:00 AM  

In a way, Dibble is defending his employers by blaming the players. It's a lot like firing Manny Acta: it's not Manny's fault that the Nats' front office has assembled a frightening collection of has-beens, never-wases, and Ryan Zimmerman, and called it a major-league team. Similarly, it's not really the players' fault that they're playing sucky baseball. They're playing down to the level of their talent.

If someone blew up in the locker room every damn night, it'd make no difference; the Nats would still suck. Well, it'd make a difference in the number of clubhouse fistfights, but that's about all.

But wait... the Jim Riggleman Era has begun. Great things are sure to follow.

jvwalt said...
Jul 13, 2009, 6:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment