Weekend Games on the West Coast Aren't So Bad

Friday, June 22, 2007

(posted by OMDQ)

Generally, my weekends here at Awful Announcing (it IS the weekend, right? I am so messed up on what day it is right now) end with a post or two on the power and the glory that is ESPN Sunday Night Baseball (what am I going to do in the fall? Will the NFL have the same appeal? Will AA allow me to continue posting late into the night on Sunday? Stay tuned!). Well, I'm watching the Red Sox-Padres right now figured, "Why not start the weekend the same way, by scribbling down some thoughts on the game?" Lends a nice bookend quality to the weekend, methinks.

Anyway, after the jump are a few random thoughts that popped up in the ol' skull while watching the first couple innings.



It's always fun watching Daisuke Matsuzaka work on his Satchel Paige impersonation (walking the bases loaded before rebounding to emerge from the inning unscathed. I think Satchel Paige did this from time to time, just to make things interesting, but don't remember for sure), especially when he only manages to give up one run in the process.

Side note: I'm Mike Cameron. If the bases are loaded, nobody is out, and the three guys in front of my have all drawn walks, why am I swinging at the first two pitches?

They are turning back the clock in San Diego tonight, with both the Pads and Sox wearing old-school uniforms. Here's what I'm wondering: when they have nights like this, why draw the line at the unis; why not go the distance and turn back the clock on other stuff in the park? Cut ticket and concessions prices, push the fences back, allow cameramen to actually walk onto the field to take pictures, make the batters go without helmets - and, most importantly: get the umpires involved (the dude behind the plate right now looks positively modern; it's totally killing the mood). Honestly, even if only the umpire thing happens I'll be happy.

I am far from the first person to point this out, but Khalil Greene bears a striking resemblance to Sean Penn.

Why does the backstop at Petco Park look like it's about ten feet behind home plate?

That San Diego logo on the mound is gonna annoy the hell out of me before this night is over.

I don't like the looks of Greg Maddux in a San Diego Padres uniform.

When did Wily Mo Pena add "grounding into double plays" to his resume?

Posted by One More Dying Quail at 10:17 PM

3 Comments:

What an effing boring post. Yawwwwwwwwn.

Anonymous said...
Jun 22, 2007, 10:53:00 PM  

As always, dummy, a pleasure to hear from you.

Jun 22, 2007, 11:30:00 PM  

I don't know if you remember, but when the NFL and NHL were doing throwback uniform games in the past, they did make their officials get in on the act. It was pretty cool seeing the old white sweaters in the NHL throwback games.

Anonymous said...
Jun 25, 2007, 8:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment