Yeah, Because That's What I'd Do If I Thought Someone Is Stealing My Material

Friday, June 08, 2007


Last week a big deal was made about Sports Illustrated Writer Rick Reilly taking a shot at ESPN in an interview with Gelf magazine. Here's the quote....

"I feel like I've flat-out handed them (ESPN) five or six Emmys. They take columns I've discovered and written—about people nobody's heard of—and do them as though they found the guy, and then they win Emmys for them."
Well that's all fine and good, and I don't doubt that it could be true. But if that's the case....WHY THE HELL ARE YOU AN ANALYST NOW ON NFL LIVE?!?!?!?!

Last evening Reilly discussed the destination of Daunte Culpepper with Trey Wingo and Mike Golic on the program. He laughed, joked, and made about 75 golf references.

Now I don't really like Reilly. He's okay as a writer and I can't stand Golf talk, so I usually avoid the back of SI....but what in the hell? This makes zero sense to me. You call them out, but appear on a show the very next day??? Someone help me understand this.

And just for verification purposes.....Flyers Fieldhouse so him on there too. I can hopefully pull the video soon as well.

Update: S2N saw it as well.

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 9:18 AM

6 Comments:

Wow. Nice catch. WTF is he doing on there?? It seemed like either he was drunk or just hates ESPN with the way he went at throat in that interview.

Bstone said...
Jun 8, 2007, 9:47:00 AM  

He was on the Dan Patrick Show yesterday talking about this. He basically said (paraphrasing): It's not plagiarism to take a story you read and make it into a television story, but I would at least like a reference. Give me a pat on the back for writing the article. Then, there was lots of laughing with Dan and joking back and forth and it was over. Either he was electroshocked Bill Simmons style, or the story was blown out of proportion.

Anonymous said...
Jun 8, 2007, 9:55:00 AM  

He was also on the Hot List on ESPNEWS yesterday as well.

BD said...
Jun 8, 2007, 12:21:00 PM  

Grudges go out the window when you've got a book to pimp.

Signal to Noise said...
Jun 8, 2007, 12:40:00 PM  

Oh, and he's on First Take today too.

Signal to Noise said...
Jun 8, 2007, 12:40:00 PM  

it's called promoting a book. SI doesn't have a television network. All he has is a back page to promote it. What else is he suppose to do? Promote on FOX Sports? Who watches that?

Anonymous said...
Jun 8, 2007, 2:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment