Francesa Admits To A Rift Between He And Russo

Friday, June 27, 2008


I, like many of you, really thought that there was too much money on the table for a breakup to actually go down, but there's even more news today that Mike and the Mad Dog could be done for good. Mike Francesa went through a lengthy tale of what's going on today and here's a transcript from the original breaker of the story, Neil Best....

Dog got it in his lap on Monday. I made sure I was near a TV at 1 o’clock when he came on. I thought he handled it well. Everything he said as far as the relationship was true. You know, we’ve been together 19 years. That’s a long time. And in a very visible position for 19 years, so we’ve kind of carried on this relationship in a very public way, so that when there’s been fights they’ve been made public and when there’s been battles they’ve been made public.

Now there haven’t been many in recent years. The last bad one before this was probably about eight years ago. I think it was in 2000 we had a bad one. And I’d say in the last 19 years we’ve probably had four or five bad ones. This one was pretty bad.

He gave you the timetable. I would say we did have a meeting in May where we decided we had maybe carried it onto the air and we were not being very professional so we apologized. He apologized, I apologized, because I thought I had handled myself terribly. I apologized for that. I thought I carried it onto the air and was very unprofessional, which is something I don’t want to ever try to be.

When you do this this long, you are going to have problems. I think we’ve patched it up on the air. Have we patched it up off the air? Not really, to any real extent. I’ll give you an example: We haven’t spoken this week. So that should give you an indication. With everything that’s going on, we haven’t spoken this week. So I think that’s a pretty good indication of where we are right now.
There's even more over at Watchdog, but geesh....that's kind of depressing isn't it? It's a shame that one fight in the past eight years would cause a breakup, but if you can't do it, don't try and fake it. Hopefully something will change but it's not looking good.

Mike Francesa admits future with Chris Russo is murky (Newsday: Watchdog)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 2:42 PM

9 Comments:

what's with the siskel and ebert picture?

-dan

Anonymous said...
Jun 27, 2008, 3:21:00 PM  

When Bill Simmons did a running diary of the show (which was how this Texan first found out about Mike & the Dog), he said he wasn't sure that the two even liked each other. And in the times that I've listened to them, I tend to agree: it was hard to tell if it was contrived or genuine animosity, but it always seemed to me that they were barely co-existing with each other.

It's a shame, though, if that co-existence has fallen apart and their show is to be no more, because it was definitely one of a kind.

Anonymous said...
Jun 27, 2008, 3:37:00 PM  

"We haven’t spoken this week. So that should give you an indication. With everything that’s going on, we haven’t spoken this week. So I think that’s a pretty good indication of where we are right now."

So wait, was this an indication that they haven't spoken this week or that they haven't spoken this week, and that's an indication.

E Buzz said...
Jun 27, 2008, 3:44:00 PM  

give me mike north!

Anonymous said...
Jun 27, 2008, 4:03:00 PM  

AA -- Get over this. Francesa is the luckiest megalomaniac in the world. A creep with miniscule talent. Who cares....

Anonymous said...
Jun 27, 2008, 7:59:00 PM  

Francesa and Russo are,simply,human shitstains.Someone should tell the program directors that loudmouth New Yorkers with little sports knowledge is bad entertainment.Francesa looks like he needs a good stool softener.Russo is a tool.

Anonymous said...
Jun 27, 2008, 8:43:00 PM  

Between HIM and Russo

The word "him" is an object pronoun. It's the object of verbs ("I like him") and it's the object of prepositions ("for him," "to him," "with him.") "Between" is a preposition.

You write for a living.

Anonymous said...
Jun 28, 2008, 9:27:00 AM  

Who cares? They suck and they're wrong about everything. Terrible journalism mixed with bad interview skills makes for very uninformed radio.

Anonymous said...
Jun 28, 2008, 10:45:00 PM  

Anyone who can't appreciate the genius of this show is a moron. Hopefully they can work this out.

Anonymous said...
Jun 30, 2008, 10:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment