Jon Miller And Joe Morgan Are On Different Wavelengths

Sunday, May 27, 2007

(This is probably OMDQ's last post of the weekend, because writing ten items in two days is exhausting for him. Yes, even if half of them are YouTube videos)

I told myself earlier tonight that no matter what was said on ESPN tonight, I was going to leave Joe Morgan alone. The man takes enough heat without me piling on each and every week.

But then something happened between him and Jon Miller that, quite honestly, made me giggle.

With Curtis Granderson at the plate in the bottom of the third inning, Miller mentioned that the Tigers outfielder was doubling as a blogger for ESPN.com. From there, he segued into a story that Granderson had told about writing to Kirby Puckett once for a school assignment, and how the fact that Puckett had been so pleasantly responsive that it still affected the way Granderson handled his fan mail. At the end, Miller left Morgan an opening to comment, and Joe did...by not responding to the story at all. Instead, he started talking about how Fausto Carmona had just walked Granderson, even running through a pitch-by-pitch breakdown of the at-bat. No segue or anything.

In fairness, I'm not willing to lay this one totally on Joe Morgan's shoulders. For all I know, the producers were in his earpiece screaming, "JOE! Jon's off on one of his tangents again! Reel that #%$!@ in!" So Joe just figured he'd change the subject and nobody would notice.

It worked, I guess - Miller followed along and got back to actually calling the game, which was good because it turned into a nice little Tigers rally. But, like I said, it made me giggle, and I wanted to give all of you the same opportunity.

Posted by One More Dying Quail at 9:05 PM

5 Comments:

This is why I'm watching playoff basketball tonight; Miller and Morgan, while not Buck and McCarver, are becoming unlistenable to me.

Signal to Noise said...
May 27, 2007, 10:07:00 PM  

Miller's little story had nothing to do with Morgan himself; that's why he didn't respond. That, and the fact that he's a douchebag who wouldn't know intelligent conversation if it smacked him in the face.

Anonymous said...
May 27, 2007, 11:38:00 PM  

I am sick and tired of Joe Morgan and his "I am superior to everyone" attitude. His tone of voice towards Jon Miller pisses me off and is flat out rude.I believe that Morgan is becoming a liability for ESPN and should remove him from the broadcasts before viewership goes down. I am ready to start a campaign to get Jon Miller a new color man.

Anonymous said...
May 28, 2007, 6:33:00 PM  

See, I would like to get a rally mug for my daughter, because she likes the rally mugs that you can get here at the ballpark, on rally mug day they give them out, rally mugs.

I had a fish taco, it was really good. They make good fish tacos at the ballpark here, I had a couple today, you know, and they were really good.

E Buzz said...
May 28, 2007, 10:59:00 PM  

That last guy must have been Joe Morgan!

MASE said...
Jul 6, 2008, 8:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment