Calabro Spurns Thunder Cats For Sounders

Tuesday, July 22, 2008


I know this post might be over the heads of some, but former Sonics Announcer Kevin Calabro is one of the (few) people who has received a good bit of praise on this site. Kevin apparently had a deal to move with the Sonics to OKC and become the Thunder's (no Cats) play-by-play man. Well he decided to stay in Seattle and for the MLS no less....

Kevin Calabro, the voice of the Sonics for 21 seasons, will become the voice of Seattle Sounders FC broadcasts as the team debuts in Major League Soccer next season.

The team and BELO also reached a multiyear television partnership to broadcast Sounders games on KONG (6 and 16) and King (5).

"I'm thrilled to be part of Sounders FC soccer in a city that I know will embrace it," said Calabro. "Seattle is blessed to have devoted ownership as well and I know people will be excited about the possibilities."
I'm sure his family and local Seattleans (?) appreciate it, but you don't normally see someone passing on the NBA for an MLS Expansion team. Calabro has been everywhere throughout his career, including ESPN Radio, TNT and TBS and I'm sad to see him go. Let's be honest here....I'll never watch a local Seattle broadcast of an MLS game, but good luck. Now we just need to find a place for Craig Ehlo.

Kevin Calabro becomes voice of the Sounders (Seattle PI)
BREAKING NEWS: Kevin Calabro New Voice of Sounders (SS Reporters)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 10:46 AM

7 Comments:

Seattlelites

PK Thunda said...
Jul 22, 2008, 11:11:00 AM  

I think it's Seattlites

Anonymous said...
Jul 22, 2008, 11:15:00 AM  

i would imagine it might have something to do with seattle not being in oklahoma

BackBergtt said...
Jul 22, 2008, 11:20:00 AM  

Seattleites. ;) Welcome aboard, Kevin.

GS-1 said...
Jul 22, 2008, 11:28:00 AM  

Craig Ehlo hasn't called Sonics games since 2006. So he probably already has a place, I just don't know where it is.

And as a Seattleite, I'm proud of Calabro for staying in the city and standing up to Bennett and his cronies. Although I wonder how he'll be calling soccer.

Anonymous said...
Jul 22, 2008, 1:29:00 PM  

Calabro stated a while back if the team had moved he wouldn't be the voice of the Thunder.


Don't worry, in April 2009 I'll give you a report AA.

TJX said...
Jul 22, 2008, 2:16:00 PM  

Calabro was never going to leave Seattle. I believe I've read he had turned down bigger gigs (than staying with the Sonics) for that reason. He likes it too much up here.

Ehlo was usually a train wreck on those broadcasts, BTW. AA must have caught him in a rare good moment.

Anonymous said...
Jul 22, 2008, 2:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment