Sports Blogs Are So Meta

Monday, July 28, 2008

I know I'm not alone here in noticing that AOL's Fanhouse has seemingly recently received a bump in their advertising budget. At the beginning of the month, I noted that Fanhouse had a rotating ad on the scoring table at a WNBA game. Since then I've noticed them popping up everywhere. Even on other blogs.

Now I'm not against getting the word out there, but this is just a little bit more than weird. Fanhouse is advertising their Fantasy Football somethingorother and has featured ads on both The Big Lead and Deadspin....


I don't deny that some Sports Blogs reach a ton of people, but this campaign is more than just a bit curious. Outside of hitting up your friends for a spot on their site, I also have no idea what the campaign is about. Sure it's about Fantasy Football, but what does a cellphone and a shady looking motel have to do with the topic?

It's a very curious decision, but hey....whatever works right?

The WNBA Has Some Interesting Advertisers (Awful Announcing)

6 Comments:

I think Fanhouse is just part of the Adify network, which a lot of sports blogs use because the Yardbarker Network makes them. I don't know if that's the case for DS and TBL.

I came to this conclusion after seeing a sketchy Fanhouse ad on my site saying "Hey, I'm easy, stripped-down, and flexible. Bring your friends. - Fanhouse Fantasy Football"

Loren said...
Jul 28, 2008, 11:51:00 AM  

I'm pretty sure AA is on the network and I've yet to see one here though.

Anonymous said...
Jul 28, 2008, 11:54:00 AM  

i got an email last week saying fleaflicker fantasy had been bought by AOL, i wonder what theyre going to do with that?

anyways, it doesnt matter, TBL cant keep his bullshit server up more than a day at a time so this is tree falling in the woods material.

BackBergtt said...
Jul 28, 2008, 2:40:00 PM  

Uh oh, are we about to be joined by new commenter, "aa hates aol"???

GMoney said...
Jul 28, 2008, 4:01:00 PM  

So I guess you're not down with a casual Sunday afternoon gangbang then, huh?

Dammit. I thought our readers were into that.

Bstone said...
Jul 28, 2008, 4:05:00 PM  

As a FanHouse blogger ... I, too, was confused about the WNBA advertising. However, I found this article about FanHouse's partnership with the WNBA and the "Dads & Daughters" program and it makes a bit more sense.

http://www.wnba.com/cares/dadsanddaughters_080605.html

Anonymous said...
Jul 29, 2008, 4:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment