Barry Melrose Is On His Way Back To ESPN

Thursday, December 04, 2008


Could it be possible that ESPN has two....count them....two employees who only work on-air for Hockey segments? Well according to the Dallas Morning News, via Going Five Hole, that's exactly what the "Leader" will do when they decide to give Barry Melrose his job back following his recent firing from the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Looks like Barry Melrose, fired after 16 games in his return to coaching this season, is moving back to Bristol. I think this is breaking news. I don't know because I seldom recognize it.

Melrose worked 12 years as an ESPN hockey analyst after coaching the Los Angeles Kings. The Tampa Bay Lightning thought so much of his work, it hired him to coach the team this season. That gig lasted about one-fifth of a season. Melrose's new ESPN deal is for three years.
Well that's nice that in this economy, Melrose has a spot reserved for him at his former employer. In all seriousness, if anyone is going to work with new hire Matthew Barnaby on the network, it has to be Melrose. He's an ESPN staple at this point, so welcome back, Barry.

In other hockey news, Sean Avery has issued an apology for his remarks, but will unlikely be staying with the Stars. Here is his statement on the matter....
"I would like to sincerely apologize for my off-color remarks to the press yesterday from Calgary. I should not have made those comments and I recognize that they were inappropriate. It was a bad attempt to build excitement for the game, but I am now acutely aware of how hurtful my actions were. I caused unnecessary embarrassment to my peers as well as people I have been close with in the past. I apologize for offending the great fans of the NHL, the Commissioner, my teammates, my coaching staff and the Dallas Stars Management and Ownership. As many of you know, I like to mix it up on and off the ice from time to time, but understand that this time I took it too far."
Sean Avery Apologizes (Dallas Observer)
Barry Melrose headed back to ESPN (Dallas Morning News)
Barry Melrose Headed Back to ESPN (Going Five Hole)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 9:11 AM

7 Comments:

Actually AA, Barnaby has also been working with E.J. Hradek on ESPNews on Wed. and Thurs. just before 5 PM EST with Bram Weinstein.

The funny thing is, Hradek has been taken off "NHL Live" on satellite radio and NHL Network because it interferes with his ESPN gig, according to his "NHL Live" cohost Don LeGreca. LeGreca said Hradek, ESPN, and NHL Network were trying to hammer out a deal to allow Hradek to return to "NHL Live." My guess it's because Hradek actually stepped in to do "NHL On the Fly" a couple of times last month for NHL Network(on short notice, during the weekend, and I'm guessing, without ESPN's permission).

Anonymous said...
Dec 4, 2008, 9:35:00 AM  

Come playoff time, will ESPN have Barnaby, Melrose, and Don Cherry all talking hockey during Sportscenter??? Worlds are colliding.

GMoney said...
Dec 4, 2008, 10:52:00 AM  

I like this Melrose kid. He's got moxy.

Anonymous said...
Dec 4, 2008, 11:24:00 AM  

I find it completely unsurprising that Avery apologized to everyone EXCEPT Phaneuf and Cuthbert (who was likely offended the most).

Anonymous said...
Dec 4, 2008, 12:07:00 PM  

@ Anon: I noticed that too and it didn't surprise me in the least.

Justin F. said...
Dec 4, 2008, 12:53:00 PM  

So what you are telling me is that ESPN is going with the Tampa Bay Lightning's sloppy seconds?

Anonymous said...
Dec 4, 2008, 4:28:00 PM  

Oh boy. Some more talking heads. Guess the mute button gets a workout when the playoff start.

Anonymous said...
Dec 4, 2008, 6:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment