Q: These Were The First Two Announcers To "Tweet" From Live Events; A: Jeff Hammond And Rebecca Lobo

Monday, March 23, 2009

I'll take questions that will never be asked on Jeopardy for $1000, Alex! Yes, that's right....NASCAR on FOX's Jeff Hammond and ESPN's Rebecca Lobo used the platform Twitter during live events this weekend. While both seemed to have fun, the differences in their tweeting styles was very noticeable. Via USA Today....

Jeff Hammond, a Fox NASCAR analyst, and Rebecca Lobo, an ESPN women's college basketball analyst and reporter, were trailblazing TV twitterers this weekend.

Twittering, via Twitter.com, lets you use laptops, cellphones or PDAs to instantly communicate an online message of no more than 140 characters. While already popular, Hammond and Lobo are the first announcers for their networks to Twitter from events.

Sunday, Hammond's tweets largely offered what you might hear on TV — "that car needs a lot of adjustments" — while Lobo had tidbits you'd probably never get without Twitter: "Had to wash 5-month-old's poop (vs. 5-month-old poop) off my hands. Back now. To clarify: I was changing a diaper during commercial."

Lobo, in an interview, says she's psyched but still has reservations: "The weirdest thing about it is the ridiculous lingo. 'Tweeting.' I just can't bring myself to say that."
Now I'm not one to judge, but I'd personally rather not hear about dirty diapers on a Twitter feed. Still pretty funny though.

Tweets (USA Today)
Rebecca Lobo (Twitter)
NASCAR on FOX (Twitter)

6 Comments:

I'd rather just stop hearing about Twitter and Tweeting all together.

Bazooka Jones said...
Mar 23, 2009, 2:20:00 PM  

you mean someone actually had sex with Rebecca Lobo?????

Anonymous said...
Mar 23, 2009, 2:53:00 PM  

what is the big deal about Twitter? Its like all of a sudden the sports media is making Twitter sound like everyone is into it. I think it's the most lame website, and that facebook and myspace are alot better

Mark B said...
Mar 23, 2009, 3:10:00 PM  

Minnesnota, see: Olbermann, Keith.

GMoney said...
Mar 23, 2009, 4:11:00 PM  

Minnesnota, I'm with you. When I saw Lobo talking about tweeting, I was thinking, "You're one of the last women I'd think about tweeting."

MMayes said...
Mar 23, 2009, 7:00:00 PM  

And GMoney, hence the "Drooling the drool of regret into the pillow of remorse" line...

JamesCraven said...
Mar 24, 2009, 10:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment