Simmons Has Been Known To Throw Down A Thunderous Dunk Or Two

Saturday, May 05, 2007


From Bill Simmons' Friday NBA post:

"In the late '80s, my buddy Bish and I dunked on a 9-foot rim for two hours with a video camera filming, then spliced it into a dunk video with a Michael McDonald song in the background. (Yes, all copies have been destroyed. As far as you know.)"
Reading that made me immediately think of a video I discovered on YouTube a couple of months ago and squirreled away for just such an occasion. As the description so eloquently states, "3 white boys won't stop dunkin' on a 6ft tall playground basketball hoop because they can't stop dunkin' on a 6ft tall playground basketball hoop."



How amazing is this? I know it's not Simmons, of course, but it has to be close to what happened on that day nearly twenty years ago. Right? Sure, the height of the hoop is slightly different, and we have to pretend that House or J-Bug was actually on hand for the event, and there's no Michael McDonald soundtrack, but it can't be far from reality. It just can't.

Posted by One More Dying Quail at 3:12 AM

11 Comments:

+a billion to whoever finds the actual clip.

Anonymous said...
May 5, 2007, 8:18:00 AM  

Nothing says "Boom-shaka-laka" like Michael McDonald.

La Rev said...
May 5, 2007, 8:39:00 AM  

We used to do this on a 7-foot rim to Van Halen's "Jump." We later graduated to an 8-foot rim and Kris Kross' "Jump, Jump." It all culminated in 9-foot dunks to House of Pain's "Jump Around." Formative years, indeed.

Jamie Mottram said...
May 5, 2007, 9:01:00 AM  

i think that there is somehting to lowering a rim and dunking, you feel like you can jump and then you realize that you are jumping no more than a foot.

one of my dreams in life is to dunk on a ten foot (this is a non important dream, i just wanna do it) so far i can only get rim and dunk a tb

Anonymous said...
May 5, 2007, 9:19:00 AM  

[walks into bedroom, looks at old stack of CD cases, sees Limp Bizkit Three Dollar Bill, Y'All album still there, shakes head]

Ray said...
May 5, 2007, 12:06:00 PM  

Ha...that trounces Simmons' videos.

And McBain...I still have that CD as well. Don't be ashamed. LB and Clutch was the best damn concert I ever saw.

May 5, 2007, 1:10:00 PM  

LB actually played with Clutch? Talk about a disparity.

Mottram is right -- everyone has done this, maybe videotaped it, maybe not. One of my more embarrassing moments was when my best friend back home found the old tape his dad made of us fancying ourselves as Jordan and Dominique on the 7 and 8 foot hoops in the backyard.

Signal to Noise said...
May 5, 2007, 2:12:00 PM  

yeah, agreed. there is something ridiculously enjoyable about dunking on a less than 10' rim. I imagine dunking on a 10' rim is ridiculously enjoyable, too, but I can't do that. And do so when little kids around that can't dunk on whatever height you're dunking on makes it even more ridiculously enjoyable. maybe even ludicrously enjoyable.

- b said...
May 5, 2007, 11:29:00 PM  

As someone who never quite broke the 6' barrier, I can vouch for everyone who ever dunked on an 8-foot rim. Even at my athletic peak, I could only (barely) grab the 10' rim with one hand. So really, what was I supposed to do? Never dunk? Ha!

Scrappled said...
May 6, 2007, 11:06:00 PM  

In the interest of full disclosure, let me say this:

I am counting the days (years) until I can buy a house, put up one of those adjustable basketball hoops, and throw down.

Hope I'll still be able to get rim on the 7-footer by then.

May 7, 2007, 12:48:00 AM  

This just reminds me of senior year of college. I lived in a shitty old house (who didn't?) and from our front yard you could see between the two houses across the street directly into the backyard of a frat that shall remain nameless so I don't piss anyone off completely. Anyway, they had a portable hoop they would wheel out into the alley and proceed to all dunk on it for hours with Limp Bizkit and Kid Rock blasting from their stereo. It would've rated a solid 11 on the douchebaggery scale.

We would sit on our porch and drink and heckle them while they were out there. A couple of the walking Abercrombie ads came over, apparently to kick our ass, only to quickly retreat when our friends next door in the rugby house stopped by. Morons.

May 8, 2007, 12:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment