Ricky Reilly Is Not A Fan Of EDSBS, Is "New School"

Thursday, June 05, 2008


HG from YBB scored a ticket to the ESPN Revenge of the Jocks party last night and has a great post today highlighting his convos with Keyshawn, Steve Lavin, and Rick Reilly (and others). Reilly was asked about blogs and his new job and this is what he had to say....

HG: Trust me… So I’m sure you’re aware of Buzz Bissinger’s take on bloggers, what are your thoughts on the old school/ new school debate?

RR: Well now I’m in the new school so to speak so we’ll see. I made the jump (to new media) to see if my voice would carry in this form. I do wonder though, is it journalism or am I behind the times? The one thing I’ve noticed, Sports Illustrated versus ESPN is that the response to my piece is a lot faster. At Sports Illustrated, the magazine would go out on a Thursday and I might not hear anything for three or four days. At ESPN I’m getting emails right away.

HG: Ok, so Rick Reilly’s on the record saying blogs are better..

RR: Not better. Just different.

HG: What’s your number one criticism of blogs?

RR: The responsibility. I don’t think there is much. Sure you don’t have editors or bosses but you can still be responsible. There’s a site, Every Day Should Be Saturday, that wrote some bullshit about us (gesturing to his girlfriend) that was just wrong. They didn’t double check, they didn’t call me, they just printed it. Call me, I’m available, I’m out there. People can email me. Before you write something like that you should check your sources. The bloggers have more power than they realize and things that they write can spread quickly.
Reilly is referring to this post at EDSBS that claimed he showed up to an LSU game completely trashed. In all fairness Orson did say that he thought it was cool, but if it was a rumor Reilly has every right to be upset. It's interesting that Reilly thinks he's now a member of the "new school", and I don't really get that, but if he wants to be available and talk with blogs and the like....I'm not going to argue.

ESPN The Magazine Chad Johnson-Rick Reilly Party (You Been Blinded)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 10:58 AM

4 Comments:

He's about as "nu skool" as Stephen A.

GMoney said...
Jun 5, 2008, 11:29:00 AM  

Nothing says "responsibility" like daring Sammy Sosa to pee in a cup.

BF said...
Jun 5, 2008, 1:14:00 PM  

Who's the blonde, a hooker?

Anonymous said...
Jun 5, 2008, 4:21:00 PM  

I had a subscription to SI for 10 years and was very familiar with the stylings of Mr. Reilly and I just don't understand who constitutes this guy's audience. His writing is consistantly sub-par, his material feels forced, and his lame attempts at being funny are best summed up by a writer at deadspin who called it "Borscht Belt humor".

I'll never understand the appeal, but I guess someone finds it interesting - so he has that going for him, which is nice.

Anonymous said...
Jun 6, 2008, 1:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment