Dan Patrick Signs With Sports Illustrated

Friday, October 19, 2007

You've probably already heard/read this (I almost didn't want to put up this post because you probably had), but I came across some interesting quotes you might not have seen. If you don't/didn't already know Dan Patrick was signed by Sports Illustrated to work in a variety of capacities.

Starting in January DP will write a weekly column for the magazine, his show will be simulcast through DanPatrick.com (which was surprisingly developed by SI), and will write a completely separate blog on one of SI's other purchases.....Fan Nation. In fact there's going to be so much synergy going on with DP's personal radio show and SI that Peter King, Tom Verducci and Rick Reilly are all going to be on his show next week.
____________________________________

Here are some of the quotes I've gathered from the parties involved in the deal....

"I wanted to align myself with quality organizations and this one I really wanted. If I was looking for a brand and an affiliation, I couldn't have gotten any bigger than this."- Dan Patrick (Via SBD)

"I said to him, 'This should be dangerous. ... There are a lot of interesting things about the business elements, the structure of this, but at the core, this is about content and serving the fans. I would have made this deal in the dirt with marbles"- SI Group Editor Terry McDonnell (Via SBD)

"As soon as we got a whiff that Dan was thinking of leaving ESPN, we got very interested"- McDonnell (Via NY Times)

"I'm still my own boss. ... This is different. I'm in a partnership with SI. I was an employee of ESPN"- Patrick (Via USA Today....What does that even mean?)

And perhaps the most meaningful quote.....

“I don’t know if it’s necessarily about TV anymore. I think it’s about the Internet. ... There is a reciprocated arrangement with the sports fan. You can e-mail. They can e-mail. They can listen to the radio show. They can call to the radio show. I like that immediacy that you have with the sports fan -- instead of, you do a sports broadcast (and) they have no way to interact with you. Anybody who’s in sports knows the interaction is really what we love.”- Dan Patrick (Via CNBC)
_________________________________

Amen Dan. Welcome to the main reason that anyone starts a blog/website in the first place. Interaction....it's fun (for the most part) and immediate. You don't get that in any other medium. This move almost makes too much sense for both parties involved. Dan can't go on TV until his contract with ESPN runs out, so he sets up a completely different way to get himself heard.

Ingenious if you ask me.

P.S.- You should so use that logo above for your SI column. I'll sell it to you cheap SI.

Other reactions....

On Dan Patrick’s Move to SI (TBL)
Dan Patrick To Sports Illustrated (Fanhouse)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 1:48 PM

8 Comments:

Patrick's radio show is great, I listen to driving to and at work. Great interviews.

I really like the route Dan's going.

Kyle said...
Oct 19, 2007, 2:35:00 PM  

It is unique that a guy as iconic to ESPN as DP is kinda saying, "Thank god I am outta there!" I hate ESPN, it is great to see this. You are right, it does seem pretty smart the way he is building his brand.

Sidenote: With as closely as SI (Turner) works with NBC is seems to be likely that he will be working with NBC next year. My guess is he will be doing highlights with Keith on FNIA. He will most likely work the Olympics too.

Anonymous said...
Oct 19, 2007, 3:13:00 PM  

The best just got better.

GMoney said...
Oct 19, 2007, 3:51:00 PM  

What? DP to SI?

They fired that fake-boobed FSU chick to make room for this schmuck? What do they think they are? A bunch of sports journalists with some kind of integrity or something? Outrageous!

/sarcasm

Jay said...
Oct 19, 2007, 5:16:00 PM  

"What does that even mean?"

It means, he was an employee of ESPN: they told him what to do. He left so he could be his own boss. Now he's joining SI in a partnership. In other words, it's collaborative; he has some control over his work.

Is that really that difficult to understand?

Anonymous said...
Oct 19, 2007, 6:47:00 PM  

Just a re-arranging of 'dreck' chairs for SI; as Dan Patrick arrives, Rick Reilly departs, wishing for another 'Miller Lite' commercial with Rebecca Romijn...or a job at ESPN? This is all speculation, of course, via SportsbyBrooks.

Anonymous said...
Oct 19, 2007, 10:15:00 PM  

Anyone who cares about any of this nonsense lives in a teeny, tiny universe. And stop it with this "branding" nonsense. Actually, it would be great if Patrick, Reilly and a few other schooks like Bayless could all get "branded" with a hot poker.

Anonymous said...
Oct 20, 2007, 1:22:00 PM  

I remember when ESPN first allowed this bumbling moron on the air as a SC anchor, I couldn't help but think of Albert Brooks' son's comment to John Hurt in BROADCAST NEWS.."So, you're the BIG JOKE?" It just goes to show that any idiot with an expensive haircut and a blood relation can be duped into thinking they actually know what they're talking about.

Chappy said...
Oct 23, 2007, 10:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment