This Is Getting Silly

Sunday, October 21, 2007

posted by OMDQ


My entry in the Awful Announcing NFL Pick 'em League is only a few points off the lead, so I'm doing my best to think through the selections each week and not get too crazy with the picks. Every Sunday, however, there are at least one or two point spreads that make me consider my choice carefully.


This week, despite ample evidence that going against them was sheer folly, I felt that way about taking the Patriots at -17.5. In my mind, there was substantial risk involved.


"They don't play well in Miami," I thought. "It could be a trap game."


Um, no. Turns out, I'm kind of an idiot. 42-7, five touchdowns for Tom Brady, two TD catches for Randy Moss...in the first half. I knew they were good - great even - but I never expected this.


The truly remarkable aspect of the game has been Brady, who appears to be auditioning for a leading role in the sequel to Big Daddy Drew's classic ode to Rex Grossman. Twice today, Randy Moss has been double covered down the field. Twice, Brady has looked downfield, surveyed the situation, and said, "Hell, only two defenders? I can make that throw." And twice, Moss has come down with the ball.


It'll be interesting to see what happens in the second half, if Belichick decides to throw Brady out there to pad the stats some more or if they play it like we did during blowouts in high school and let everyone play a different position. I'm especially excited to see Lonie Paxton play quarterback.


Photo: Boston.com

Posted by One More Dying Quail at 2:24 PM

9 Comments:

42-7 at halftime, hmm?

I hate to flog a dead horse here, but it's crazy to me that people are so willing to suspend disbelief (re: deeper seeded "gamesmanship" and impropriety) and think that this kind of performance is legit on the part of the Patriots.

I know it's the Dolphins, but where there's smoke there's fire.

I'm not saying Brady doesn't make accurate passes or they don't give great effort on D or they don't block well on special teams - but it's clear something else is going on here; at least to an impartial observer. Exactly what that is remains to be seen.

Anonymous said...
Oct 21, 2007, 3:13:00 PM  

I saw one of his touchdown passes, and there is absolutely no reason (other than the fact that Miami is terrible) that pass shouldn't have been intercepted. OMDQ is pretty accurate in describing that throw as Grossman-esque.

Oct 21, 2007, 3:20:00 PM  

Anonymous, it's people like you who make me hate people like you.

Pats >>>> everyone else.

dollar said...
Oct 21, 2007, 3:33:00 PM  

Yes, the Sex Cannon analogy is perfect. I thought the same thing while watching the highlights at halftime.

Anon, I think it's just that Miami is HORRIFICALLY bad. I use caps for a reason there. I understand the whole video thing and the sleazy way the NFL destroyed evidence, but I'm guessing that Miami is just that awful. There's a Grand Canyon-sized gap between the Pats and the rest of their division.

Signal to Noise said...
Oct 21, 2007, 3:35:00 PM  

And Brady to Welker again makes for 6 TD passes.

I suspect Coach Hobo bet on his own team and wants to keep that 17.5 spread safe.

Signal to Noise said...
Oct 21, 2007, 3:41:00 PM  

I like that Dierdorf has become so shell-shocked by this game that he just says, "This is unbelievable!" after every touchdown, regardless of which team scores.

Oct 21, 2007, 3:50:00 PM  

The Sports Guy must have had a very tired right hand after today's game.

Anonymous said...
Oct 21, 2007, 6:11:00 PM  

He better have saved some strength for tonight ALCS Game 7, especially if David Ortiz has a big game.

Anonymous said...
Oct 21, 2007, 7:42:00 PM  

I wonder if anonymous was suspicious off the 2000 Rams as well?

Steve M said...
Oct 21, 2007, 7:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment