Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Okay, I've done enough negative articles about ESPN today that they deserve a good one. A month or so ago I wrote a piece on a press release regarding the impact of the games that ESPN televises (which I conveniently can't find in a search). Well now the network has come out with a similar release in regards to Sports Center and the numbers are amazing to tell you the truth.
SportsCenter by the NumbersThe makeup talk aside this release is pretty interesting. The sheer amount of individuals going into the program is crazy and the reach of the program can't be approached by any other Sports program on television. Good stuff.
* 8 – Languages in which SportsCenter is telecast (English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Hindi, Cantonese, Mandarin and Japanese)
* 15 - Original versions of SportsCenter produced around the world including the U.S. version
* 15 –Sports Emmys earned for SportsCenter
* 25 – Shades of concealers and foundations used by the makeup team in the U.S.
* 50 – Average number of production and news personnel working on each SportsCenter telecast
* 50 – Average seconds of a SportsCenter highlight
* 81 – Number of SportsCenter anchors worldwide
* 136 – Countries and territories where SportsCenter is watched
* 220 –SportsCenter meetings held per month globally
* 1,500 – Average number of SportsCenter highlights produced per month (450 in the U.S., and more than 1,120 globally and on ESPN Deportes)
* 2,700 – Makeup removal wipes used per month in the U.S.
* 3,867 – Original SportsCenter telecasts produced worldwide each year
* 26,280 – number of SportsCenter updates aired per year on ESPN Radio
* 36,000 – Ringtone downloads of the familiar “Da Da Da…Da Da Da” SportsCenter theme in the third quarter of 2007
* 41,234 – Original editions of SportsCenter produced to date (includes U.S., overseas and ESPN Deportes, the Spanish language U.S.-based sports network)
* 100,000 – Views per month of SportsCenter Right Now updates on ESPN’s mobile content
* 1,450,000 – SportsCenter Right Now views daily on ESPN.com and related sites
* Up to 105,600,000 – Number of people who watch SportsCenter each month in the U.S. alone
(Source: ESPN PR)