ESPN Meets Mr. Show? Please God No!

Tuesday, March 18, 2008


I'm never one to harp on people "selling out", but I might have to after this item. It's one thing for Nick Bakay, Frank Caliendo, or the Sklar Brothers to do so, but Mr. Show's Bob Odenkirk? Say it ain't so!

ESPN joined forces with Emmy award-winning director Bob Odenkirk (“Mr. Show with Bob and David”, “Saturday Night Live”) to bring the quirky world of “Bracketology” to life in a campaign, running on ESPN networks and online. It showcases the behavior of eight different bracketologist stereotypes – from the Alumnist, to the Fisherman, to the Mascotitian and more. The campaign’s website features each of these characters explaining his/her strategy. ESPN’s expert Bracketologist, Joe Lunardi, then provides his professional assessment. From the site, fans can fill out their own brackets, send mobile ‘smacks’ to their friends and study the habits of various bracketologists. For more information visit www.ESPNBracketologists.com.
I don't even understand what this website is about (it isn't working), but that paragraph just makes me sad. First David Cross was in Alvin and the Chipmunks and now this? What happened to comedy???

(Via ESPN)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 11:47 AM

6 Comments:

Those ads look even worse knowing that people with talent developed them! The sklar brothers just aren't funny so I expect them to be bad. Frank is a tool.

But I have to admit I loved those Nick Bakay bits! He did the loveable loser so well. Especially when his wife did better (both picks-wise and humor-wise) than he did.

testing thing said...
Mar 18, 2008, 12:24:00 PM  

I don't mind this at all. I think Bob O deserves a fat payday. Anyone remember where the word "travashamockery" came from? The Bob Odenkirk Miller Lite ads in 2004.

Carry on Bob!

Steve said...
Mar 18, 2008, 12:33:00 PM  

David Cross did the movie to buy a nice piece of property. More power to him.

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 12:39:00 PM  

Bob and David could come into my house and crap on my living room floor and I would still love them.

dayna said...
Mar 18, 2008, 12:49:00 PM  

Odenkirk and Cross were at their best in the barber shop quartet, Chock Full Of Notes.

GMoney said...
Mar 18, 2008, 3:37:00 PM  

philip- I miss Cheap Seats but I hate the bracket the Sklars brothers are doing too. They could do so many other good things. They were actually pretty good filling for Rome on the radio.

Bakay pretty good too. Caliendo got old fast. Sir Charles has even said no mas on the impersonation of him and he use to love it.

Anonymous said...
Mar 18, 2008, 3:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment