A Look Into How Jay Glazer May Have Got The Brett Favre Retirement Story Before Anyone Else

Tuesday, March 11, 2008


I can't even begin to imagine the tricks that Sports reporters have to pull of to get some of the exclusive stories that they get, but you can't say they don't work hard. Yes even Chris Mortensen.

Well word is now out that Jay Glazer may have used of all things his UFC/MMA connections to get his hands on the the Brett Favre Retirement story before anyone else. Via Richard Deitsch of SI....

A couple of months ago, knowing Ultimate Fighting champion Randy Couture was one of Brett Favre's sporting favorites, Fox's Jay Glazer helped arrange a meeting in Green Bay between the UFC heavyweight champion and the Packers quarterback. The reporter and QB have long been tight.

When I spoke with Glazer in December, he told me the story he wanted most was Favre's retirement. He got it. Give ESPN's Chris Mortensen credit for saying Glazer got it first, even though Favre's voicemail to Mortensen pushed the story to another level...
Here's the original story from Glazer and it's amazing to think that connections in MMA could have helped Glazer land the biggest NFL story in the past 10+ years. Oh and to get Chris Mortensen to mention your name on air too is a pretty impressive feat. I said it before and I'll say it again...Jay Glazer is the hardest working man in Sports and I hope he keeps this up next year.

Media Circus (SI.com)
Couture has inspiring message for Pack (Fox Sports)

(Yes, that's Glazer in the photo above from a fight in 2003)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 1:09 PM

5 Comments:

here's a newsflash: "breaking" stories like this one are so overrated. guys like glazer and mortensen get a hard on seeing their name on the ESPN crawl...give me a story with some real journalistic value rather than this "Listen to this, Brett Favre knows my phone number and left me this message." It's pathetic.

Anonymous said...
Mar 11, 2008, 2:44:00 PM  

Biggest story in 10 years?? Easy now, Captain Hyperbole!

Favre is 142 years old. It doesn't take cutting edge jounalism to be sitting on that one.

Anonymous said...
Mar 11, 2008, 3:39:00 PM  

spastic rectum: that's what i'm saying...that story could have waited until today and it wouldnt have mattered. glazer and mortensen are a joke.

Anonymous said...
Mar 11, 2008, 4:15:00 PM  

Sorry AA, I usually agree with you on things but I have to say my love for Jay Glazer is doesn't exist.

In fact I consider him one of the biggest sports personality jerks/a-holes in the business.

http://forums.bengalszone.com/index.php?showtopic=15643

Read that, and yes I'm from Ky. Making sweeping generalizations about hillbillies and moonshine while in the MSM is just unheard of. Plus there is plenty of proof of him acting like a jackass, since he did write this.

Anonymous said...
Mar 12, 2008, 3:39:00 PM  

Without the *is in the first sentence. Changed my phrases and forgot to take out a word. And here I was trying to say all KY people werent hillbillies.

Anonymous said...
Mar 12, 2008, 3:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment