Breaking Rumor: Stephen A. Smith to SportsCenter

Friday, February 23, 2007

When I say rumor.....I mean RUMOR!. This comes in an email from a friend of a friend who's mom's cousin works for ESPN (or something like that).

A buddy of mine at ESPN just told me they received a memo today saying that Stephen A. Smith will start anchoring Sportscenter sometime next week.
Hmmm that sounds like it could be made up....buuuut I did some searching and found this:
His first show will be Sunday with Bob Ley. I know this b/c I was at a conference earlier this week at which he spoke. He was surprisingly good with his remarks and very candid as you might expect. He had complete control of the room, esp. during the Q&A period.
Much more substantial.....still not verified though. It does make sense though. Not in the "sports fans will enjoy it" sense, but more along the "he's crazy and will fit right in with our new let's annoy the crap out of people stance".....sense.

This doesn't surprise me one bit, and I can't wait for Stu "Pink Eye" Scott and S.A.S. to be on the same show.

10 Comments:

That actually isn't the worst idea ever. Even though he is LOUD, Steven was a good commentator. I did notice him back on SportsCenter lately in the "expert" slot. Maybe the structure of the Sportscenter format might be a good fit for him.

The HCIC said...
Feb 23, 2007, 12:29:00 PM  

Here's the thing, I've seen Stephen A on a few ESPN Classic shows and he was talking like a normal human being. My boy says he is, or at least was, the same way on his radio show. He's completely capable of not being annoying. If the producers reign him in , it could work. If not, well we know what will happen.

Gangsta D said...
Feb 23, 2007, 12:56:00 PM  

The scary thing is that I think this could work too, SC is too fast paced most of the time for him to be his usual loud self if he's not playing analyst.

Signal to Noise said...
Feb 23, 2007, 1:05:00 PM  

I think the structure would suit him very well. He's not a dumb guy. He's an annoying guy.

Scrappled said...
Feb 23, 2007, 2:39:00 PM  

Lebron James, you are now OFF the Delicious Cheez Doodles Hot Seat.

Plus, he can thumb out his columns during commerical breaks.

SteveJeltzFan said...
Feb 23, 2007, 3:06:00 PM  

WHO LET RASHO NESTEROVIC IN MY HIGHLIGHTS

Grimey said...
Feb 23, 2007, 5:06:00 PM  

Stephen A. Smith will fit right in with that cock & balls vacuum of a mouth

Anonymous said...
Feb 24, 2007, 6:00:00 PM  

It doesn't really matter... ESPN has been completely unwatchable for a while now. This is just another step in that direction.

Anonymous said...
Feb 25, 2007, 9:41:00 PM  

Grimey, don't forget: HOW CAN THE LAKERS POSSIBLY STAND SLAVA MEDVEDENKO!

I saw the SportsCenter with Stephen A. The worst part is that he did the best job I've seen anyone do SportsCenter in five years. He wasn't too over the top, he asked pertinent questions to analysts, and he didn't make any ridiculous references in highlights. Considering it's his first time, I give him an A-.

Mike said...
Feb 26, 2007, 7:40:00 PM  

slava medvedenko!, rasho nesterovic!, zydrunas ilgauskas!, andreas kerilenko!, kwame brown!.....I laugh my ass off everytime I hear Stephen A. talk about these guys...you can clearly tell as to who he believes udderly sucks...it is freakin' hilarious...I welcome him!

I have watched SC for years and never once have I seen anything as disgusting as Rush Limbaugh commentating (football) so no bitching and whining...At least Stephen A. is intelligent and actually knows what he is talking about

Anonymous said...
May 30, 2007, 10:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment