Football News- The NFL Network

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I had a conversation with the roommate the other day about why it was ultimately a great (but not planned) idea for me to do a site about something as general as announcing. It's year-round and there are Awful Announcers in every league. It's gotta be tough for some blogs now that football is over. Hell it's tough on me, and I have basketball to fall back on.

Anywho, imagine my surprise when I found out today that the NFL Network has decided to run a 30-minute show every weeknight on the NFL Draft (The Path to The Draft). I like the NFL-Network just fine, but when does this all become overkill? By my count that's around 1500 minutes of draft coverage over 50 days. Add to that the Combine the end of this month and we're talking countless hours. Here's the rundown...

The 50-episode series, “Path to the Draft,” is scheduled for weeknights at 6:30pm ET. Paul Burmeister will host, and Mike Maycock and Charles Davis will provide analysis. Tonight’s show will have former Titans GM Floyd Reese and Cowboys QB Tony Romo in studio to analyze available quarterbacks in this year’s draft.
So in the essence of the above statement about blogs I was thinking that this move is quite a stretch (Hell, it's a stretch to have Charles "Mangina" Davis involved in anything.) Well that was until I saw this.....
Execs at NFL Network, which is looking to broaden its football offerings with college events, are trying to find a way to break away from the glut of games already on broadcast and cable networks. To that end, the network is looking into highlight-driven studio shows.

NFL Network President & CEO Steve Bornstein said, “Twenty years ago, ESPN did more — and probably made more money — than anyone covering the Super Bowl actually did, but they never had the game. We’re going to take that same approach with college.”
Whoa. Really??? I don't know how that's going to play out when almost no one gets your network to begin with. Remember the Rutgers incident? The reason why ESPN still succeeds is the simple fact that they have probably upwards of 80% of all games aired across the dial. You simply can't take on the Leader with such a narrow view.

I loved the double network coverage of the draft last year. Maycock is better than Kiper, but I found myself hanging around ESPN more on draft day because Rich Eisen is a dick. Good luck NFL-N, but I don't see this ending good for you.

Oh....by the way....Happy 30,000th Show Sports Center. I can't believe my entire life is pretty much encapsulated within those 30K of shows.

3 Comments:

Charles Davis is commenting? I am sure he will be prepared as always.

So, the over/under on the number of quarterbacks who should have a run/pass option according to Davis is 17? Remember, he'ss prepared.

Michael said...
Feb 13, 2007, 4:28:00 PM  

I'm still hoping you get big enough that I can get together a blog just mocking you.

Actually, that probably is the next step. They'll get a panel of people to read all of our blogs (RUTS, Signal to Noise, etc.) and point out our mistakes.

Then again, I find the "comment" section works pretty well for real-time criticism of me and my abilities most days.

Eric (Extra P.) said...
Feb 13, 2007, 8:24:00 PM  

Rich Eisen for president!

Anonymous said...
Mar 25, 2007, 1:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment