Super Bowl Announcing Preview- The Booth

Friday, February 02, 2007

"There's not enough time! There's never enough time!!!"- Jesse Spano



Sorry to steal a quote from The Big Lead, but that's exactly how I feel today. I'm running out of good weekday readers, and I teetering on the edge of the cliff dive of weekenders (I love you weekend readers don't get me wrong). Either way I'm glad to provide you with the latest....albeit short.....installment of Super Bowl XXXXI previews (seriously what's wrong with 4 Xs?).

For the ultra-hip radio version click Awful Announcing's Brian Powell

Special thanks to the Rockstar Jamie at SBL for letting me pollute the airwaves and make Martha Quinn jokes (P.S.- That is my birth name, but please still call me AA.....I like the whole anonymous Superhero thing. Think of me like Max Power.).
__________________________________

Jim "Nancy" Nantz

To tell you the truth.....I can't find anything wrong with the guy (trust me...I've tried). He's a family man, wishes his dad was around to see him to his first Super Bowl, gives a kid his tie after every broadcast (true story), and can do every event from the craziness of the Final Four to the subtle drones of the Masters......"A tradition unlike any other".

He has a propensity to use the word "guys" too much, but other than that he's solid.

Current Grade: A

Phil "Cavemanateur" Simms

In between shooting Geico commercials and saving Autistic children (a very noble thing) Phil is an average broadcaster. I hated Phil when he worked with Greg Gumbel, but he's grown on me a bit. He has great analysis during the game, but he's one of those "I played the game, so you don't see what I see" guys. That gets pretty damn annoying, and you'll probably get some chatter about Super Bowl XXI.

Current Grade: C+
____________________________

So love em' or hate em' you'll have them for a good 3-4 hours on Sunday. I might be lurking around the Ebays on Saturday and Sunday, but I'll be gone Monday. The string of calling out of work the day after the Super Bowl is over, and I will be in an all day meeting (trying not to sleep).

Enjoy the game if I don't talk to you before noon on Sunday, and the AA official pick is Bears +7.

11 Comments:

Just wanted to add a vote of support from a serial lurker to your site. You're right up with my favorite sports blogs AA, and don't forget it.

Off topic, if some network (cough, ESPN) uses Madden previews for NFL games, shouldn't they bring in actual Madden players under the Simms rule? I would just love to see some crazed Madden junkie telling Sean Salisbury that he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about since "he never played the game".

Anonymous said...
Feb 2, 2007, 5:17:00 PM  

I'm so excited, I'm so exited, I'm so...I'm so...scared. Defining moment of my youth right there.

Feb 2, 2007, 5:35:00 PM  

I'm with you on the Bears, AA; hell, I'll say they win outright.

Signal to Noise said...
Feb 2, 2007, 8:09:00 PM  

I agree. As much as I want to pick the Colts, my gut says Bears. Someone's going to get Uhrlachered, and they're not going to like it very much.

And - Phil Simms is a squinty fucker, ain't he?

Eric (Extra P.) said...
Feb 2, 2007, 9:08:00 PM  

i like nance. good guy. if joe buck was calling this shit (or if it were on FOX) i may actually consider not watching...err..., muting the fucking TV and turning on the radio. yeah, that'd be it.

The Big Picture said...
Feb 3, 2007, 2:15:00 AM  

Excellent work on SBL!

twins15 said...
Feb 3, 2007, 2:24:00 AM  

Does anyone else die a little inside every time Nantz begins a broadcast with "Hello friends!"

Unknown said...
Feb 3, 2007, 3:30:00 AM  

You might not have the vocal timbre of Big Daddy Drew, but that was a solid effort on SBL. You came off sounding like a real expert on the subject of sports announcing (that's a very good thing).

Feb 3, 2007, 3:31:00 AM  

Nantz is ok, especially since The Pats aren't playing and he can't slobber all over Tom Brady all day. Although, we all know he will find a way to bring up Brady at least twice a half.

Phill Simmm is definitely better than he used to be. But, he still annoys me a lot. For one thing he still believe that every second must be filled with somebody talking, usually him. And he sounds like he's yelling too often. And he still gets a lot of things wrong. Especially the rules. Which is also annoying.

Uhh .. so I guess I really don't like Simms. Oh well.

Jay said...
Feb 3, 2007, 12:01:00 PM  

I'll also commend you on your SBL appearance; oddly enough, you've got an announcing voice (whatever that might be.)

But mostly this comment is because I just realized you created a tag for "The Greatness that is Elizabeth Berkley."

Well played.

Signal to Noise said...
Feb 3, 2007, 1:05:00 PM  

I agree with Eric on Jim Nantz's "hello, friends" thing. To quote Vincent Vega, "You ain't my friend... palooka."

One thing that nobody remembers about Phil Simms is the fact that he gave Ed Hochuli a name during Super Bowl XXXVIII. Simms literally made him the star of that game by mentioning his name over and over... before that he was just the ref with the gun show.

Grimey said...
Feb 4, 2007, 12:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment