Flying Elvises Bet

Tuesday, February 20, 2007



















Not much Announcing News today I feel asleep listening to Steve Bardo wax-ecstatic about some Saint Marys player named Tron (same guy Bill Simmons flipped out about when he covered SM earlier in the year) . Steve could be good one day......he just needs to stop stating the obvious so much. I also fell asleep before Tiki came on Leno....but to tell you the truth....I'm sick of him already.

I'm really here to bring you much more important news. The Gilbert Arenas Trampoline dunk was actually done on a bet from Shaq.

We were sitting there in the timeout watching them Elvis guys dunk, and my big mouth, I was like, “Man, I can do that better than them.” And then they missed a couple so I was like, “When they finish up, I’m going to go do it.”

Shaq was like, “Yeah, right.” He said, “I’ll put $100,000 in your foundation.”

I was like, $100,000 or get in trouble by David Stern?

$100,000 or get in trouble by David Stern?

Oh man, I’ll take that fine. So I did it for my Zer0 2 Her0 charity.

It was great though. Between the legs…Yea-ahhh!

I used to practice those trampoline dunks back at Golden State. I can flip and everything. But I didn’t want to flip and crack my neck.

Well okay.....$100K is worth it for the kids, but if you had gotten hurt Gilbert....I would have been pissed. That would have ruined my NBA Season, and after the past NFL season you're all I've got (well you and Grevis Vasquez). Now that we're in the second half let's calm down a tad, and focus on the game. Thanks.

P.S.- The fact that you PRACTICED tramp dunks at Golden State is just weird, but I'm not surprised.

P.P.S.- I have no good reason why I just wrote those last few sentences to Gilbert. I'm not going back and changing it now though.

P.P.P.S.- Is it Elvises or Elvisi?

Gil Arenas Blog (NBA.com)

The Video (700 Level)

My Swag Was Phenomenal (JCMJ)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 9:44 AM

5 Comments:

I think it's "Elvii."

Figures Shaq might have had something to do with it -- like most things fun or goofy in the NBA these days.

Signal to Noise said...
Feb 20, 2007, 12:34:00 PM  

I always go with Elvii in this situation. It just sounds cooler.

I seriously couldn't love Shaq anymore than I do. My girlfriend has a grudge against him -- she hates really large or really small people. Really, the other two people on her list are Verne Troyer and Bea Arthur. I wish I was making this up.

So, during the All-Star festivities, I kept saying "baby, look at Shaq! He's breakdancing! He's trying to break someone down as if he was Allen Iverson! He just kissed that semi-crosseyed guy!"

Nothing. There's no cracking some eggs.

Scrappled said...
Feb 20, 2007, 1:40:00 PM  

Agreed: Elvii is the way to go.

Anonymous said...
Feb 20, 2007, 2:56:00 PM  

I'd agree - it's Elvii. Gregg Easterbrook uses the term to describe the Patriots logo in his TMQ column. I figured you'd have had some Latin in grade school and know your pluralization rules.

And ruts, does your gf hate them like Timmy hates gays, or just hates them like most people use the word hate?

- b said...
Feb 20, 2007, 3:41:00 PM  

Oh no, it's more of a generalized, every day hate. I tried to watch "The World's Smallest People" on Discovery Channel last night and she wasn't having it.

Kind of like me hating Mormons for eschewing alcohol, drugs, tobacco, and caffeine. It's like they're against everything I stand for. But I don't really hate them.

Scrappled said...
Feb 20, 2007, 3:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment