The Post Where I Tell You That You Were Right: TBS Baseball Edition

Monday, October 08, 2007


I guess it was my knee-jerk reaction to anything "Not FOX", but I got hammered for my support of TBS' #1 Team last week, and after the last two games...I believe deservedly so. There are so many complaints about Chip Caray in my inbox that I can't even keep up and respond to all of them. Just know that I'm almost there with you. Almost.

For some reason I think there's something there, and I think I've figured out one of the problems. They are all National League guys. Bear with me here....

Is there such a difference in the two leagues that it would make it hard for them to study up on all of the teams and their nuances in time for the Series? You would think not, but I'm sure it's possible. Their coverage seems to lack any emphasis on, well....anything American League. They don't understand the League or even know the players. Now that's not a necessity for a good broadcast but it does help a bit.

The gnats on Saturday were crazy, but they seemed to not care how it was affecting the game. Could they have stopped a game because of bugs? Who knows...but I'm sure if you were like me you asked that question. There have been a ton of pitching/position changes that have gone unquestioned or even noticed. And somewhere during this series Chip Caray stopped rooting for the Indians and turned to praising the Yankees' every move.

Tony Gwynn seemed so likable at first that I didn't even notice the fact that he questions nothing. Nothing at all. Is this a prerequisite for all baseball players who go into media (Frank Thomas, Tim McCarver)? As Tiki has shown us....that's certainly not the case for Football. Brenly is the only one that brings up anything substantial at all.

All in all, the past two games have shown that I was waaaaay off-base by praising them after the first game like I did. I told you I would do so if that was the case so here's my apology....I'm sorry I did that.....I did a bad thing.

There's one more thing though.....I'm not burying them entirely. I think they'll be much more comfortable covering the National League when this Series ends. With all three understanding the different play and knowing most of the players. Too bad no one will be watching them then.

Can Chip, Tony, And Bob Make TBS' Playoff Run Succesful All By Themselves? (Awful Announcing)

P.S.- Ron Darling is moving into the studio for the rest of the playoffs, which I'm looking forward too. Can we please just send Frank Thomas back to Canada though?

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 2:17 PM

13 Comments:

Early in the game yesterday, every time the Yankees got a base hit, Caray would say some variation of "Here come the Yankees!!!". That happened before all three double play balls I believe. Doesn't make much sense to me...

Anonymous said...
Oct 8, 2007, 3:07:00 PM  

It's still better than Fox. And I am shocked at how good Bob Brenly is.

GMoney said...
Oct 8, 2007, 3:33:00 PM  

Ron Darling,in the booth for the Cubs-D'backs series, was very good. Great insights on pitching. I'm sure he will do very well in the studio for the NLCS. I also agree that Frank Thomas needs to go.

Anonymous said...
Oct 8, 2007, 3:48:00 PM  

I'd just like to hear ONE announcer who knows that the so-called "right way to play baseball" is the asinine WRONG way to play baseball. Unless, that is, if a manager's goal is to satisfy the color commentator's bunt fetish. Brenly did everything he could to throw away the 2001 World Series, but still lucked out. He obviously hasn't learned anything.

Unknown said...
Oct 8, 2007, 4:10:00 PM  

Funny, since people in DC hated Darling the first season of the Nats.

odessasteps said...
Oct 8, 2007, 4:43:00 PM  

Frank Thomas...in the pregame show for Monday's game...mentions "there is no way the Yankees are going to play Sheffield at first base, since he has not played there all year.
JT
Lynchburg, VA

Anonymous said...
Oct 8, 2007, 7:35:00 PM  

Here's an idea. Maybe giving the Divison Series to a group of announcers which haven't worked together before isn't such a good idea. Anyone ever hear of chemistry? Phil Mushnick of the NY Post brought up a good point. TBS actually shows the game at crucial points rather than crowd reactions or Joe Torre going into his nose up to the second knuckle.

Anonymous said...
Oct 8, 2007, 7:50:00 PM  

Caray is a horrible pbp guy, just horrible. I'd sooner listen to that idiot Hawk Harrelson. Gwynn is afraid to say anything negative, and Brenly is , well, Brenly.
Oh, and they should lock Ron Darling in a studio apartment.

Anonymous said...
Oct 8, 2007, 7:55:00 PM  

All the Caray's suck.

Gwynn is good when talking about hitting that is it. He also hasn't broadcasted a game since last year as he coaches at SDSU. Brenly is solid since he has managed in the league, just with less personality than Pinella.

Unknown said...
Oct 8, 2007, 10:53:00 PM  

Lou Piniella? Personality on the mic? There was nothing harder to watch than Fox's ALCS last year of T-hom Brennaman, Steve Lyons and Piniella...until Lyons got replaced by the patently worse Jose Mota.

Speaking of worse, wasn't Skip Caray and Joe Morgan paired together at NBC's coverage of the 1997 NLCS or was it Bob Costas?

Anonymous said...
Oct 9, 2007, 1:39:00 AM  

I consider myself a stat geek, and I wish TBS would have provided just a little more information during these telecasts.

I love obscure statistics and I was just wondering, TBS, how did the Indians and Yankees do in this series with 2 outs and runners in scoring position?? Why or why won't you share this information with us?

Anonymous said...
Oct 9, 2007, 7:12:00 AM  

I..I'm sorry I did that. I did a bad thing. I can't believe..that I did that......HONK FOR CASH

HadesGigas said...
Oct 9, 2007, 8:28:00 AM  

I finally turned the sound off. You can watch a week of American League games and not hear the word "sacrifice," then these NL "experts" broadcast a series and treat the sacrifice as a great strategic weapon. Oooh, NL ball, so pure, I can't wait for the next double switch.

Anonymous said...
Oct 9, 2007, 9:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment