AA Review: FOX's Super Bowl XLII

Monday, February 04, 2008


I know many of you think that I don't have a nice thing to say about Joe Buck, and you're right. Just kidding. I think that our good friend Joseph did an admirable job last night and I was shocked at FOX's overall production of Super Bowl XLII.

Sure it was a close game and that had a lot to do with the record numbers of people that watched, but since I was probably the only person who watched from 2pm until close I wanted to break the whole thing down as in years (or year) past.
_______________________

Pregame: I was actually dreading the "red carpet" stuff before the game more than Joe Buck's call during the game. I couldn't think of any possible way they could pull this off, and they really didn't. Instead they pulled an Eli Manning (or Rex Grossman last year), but managing the game and almost making it tolerable.

Ryan Seacrest's interviews never went longer than they should, Terry and the gang were pretty funny throughout, and they didn't focus every piece on the New England Patriots. Sure the guests were terrible (outside of Marissa Miller), the promos were ridiculous, and Paula Abdul was dreadful, but everything else was mildly entertaining. For someone like David Hill, who gave us all of the band shots during Bowl Season, to make something NOT completely annoying was a major coup.

Grade: C+

During The Game:
If you had told me before the game that I would have actually enjoyed Joe Buck and wouldn't be able to stand Troy Aikman I would have called you crazy. In the end though that's exactly how it played out. I poked fun at Buck briefly when I posted the Tyree catch and I think that led people to believe I didn't enjoy him. It was the exact opposite. I couldn't believe he was really calling such a great game given the boring nature of the first three quarters and with Troy Aikman stumbling all over him. His one un-energetic call didn't diminish from a great game.

This isn't the first Super Bowl for Aikman so I really don't know what went wrong. I think the ex-QB was just nervous for some reason. He mixed up names, lost the English language at times and for the most part just didn't make much sense. This was highlighted by his explanation of the "Giants wanting to hold the Pats at Half" explanation and his "Eli threwed it in there" quote.

It wasn't the worst job an analyst has done, but I expected more. If he was on par with how he normally is in the booth that might have been one of the best called Super Bowls in quite some time. Actually it probably still was.

Grade: B-


Postgame:
I think they went out the same way they went in. Terry Bradshaw was great talking to everyone after the game and the interview by Chris Meyers with Bill Belichick was priceless (via Sports Wrap)...



Grade: B

Overall: Great game and great broadcast. I don't think I could ever give a Pregame Show higher than a "C" when it has Nick Lachey featured, but I was surprised it didn't even come close to an "F". Great broadcast FOX, and great job Joseph. I'm proud of you....now let's see if you can keep it up during Baseball season.

Overall Grade: B+


Top 10 Quotes:

10. "If he'd had to held the ball any longer than he did there."- Troy Aikman

9. "Maroney set it up with a 43 yard kick return.......What set it up, the pass interference on Pierce. Patriots lead by four."- Joe Buck

8. "I've had enough of it. I want to give these New England Patriots that trophy tonight to shut that bunch up down in Miami up."- Terry Bradshaw

7. "Mark this down in your diary."- Joe Buck on the Giants' twelve men on the field penalty (he actually made me laugh with this one)

6. "He throwed it up there."- Troy Aikman

5. "We may not be the best announcers out there but our truck does that stuff the best."- Joe Buck

4. "Pretend you're going after Tom Brady's girlfriend back there. Whatever helps."- Jimmy Johnson

3. "When looking at that piece of tape one thing is apparent. Just how butt ugly I am."- Terry Bradshaw

2. "Another Malibu's Most Wanted."- Howie Long when describing the pregame rapper

1. "Hey Seacrest, the only time I thought I'd see you at a Super Bowl man would be as a cheerleader."- Terry Bradshaw

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 1:36 PM

12 Comments:

See what happens when you don't do a pregame review like last year? The channel exceeds expectations...

Can we throwed Joe Buck ahead of Jim Nantz as a Football guy now?

Anonymous said...
Feb 4, 2008, 2:56:00 PM  

I especially enjoyed Pam Oliver referring to the red zone as the "green zone".

If only University of Phoenix Stadium had a huge sign at the back of the end zone to remind her what the correct term was.

http://z.about.com/d/phoenix/1/0/I/Z/1/cardinalsstadium10.jpg

MarkCiz said...
Feb 4, 2008, 3:13:00 PM  

you forgot to rate the halftime show......

Anonymous said...
Feb 4, 2008, 3:14:00 PM  

Anon #1- They're about even, but you might be right after this. I dislike them in different ways.

MarkCiz- That's actually a Tom Coughlin term that she was using.

Anon #3- No I didn't. I was pointless, so I didn't include it. I'm done with rating music for the time being (and I thought being a media critic was tough).

Feb 4, 2008, 3:19:00 PM  

I thought FOX did a very good job. But I would rather waterboarding be performed on me then deal with that dink Seacrest.

Anonymous said...
Feb 4, 2008, 3:21:00 PM  

What in the WORLD was Aikman thinking when he wondered if the Giants would punt if they couldn't pick up a first down with less than 2 minutes remaining??? PUNT?? Give up the ball with that little time left????

I never played a down of football past little league, but even I knew that four-down territory for the Giants. They had to win or lose in that drive. Everybody knew that. Except for Aikman. He was out of his mind on that one.

Anonymous said...
Feb 4, 2008, 3:24:00 PM  

I'd bet that Jimmy Johnson has hit Pam Oliver's ass before.

GMoney said...
Feb 4, 2008, 3:45:00 PM  

Did anyone else think that Joe Buck is an AA reader after hearing the line about not being the best announcers out there? I laughed when I heard that one.

Willmott said...
Feb 4, 2008, 3:52:00 PM  

Oh, thanks for the correction.
I found it hard to believe that she would have slipped up like that.

Similiar to how I often watch Erin Andrews do a sideline report, look down, and find it hard.

MarkCiz said...
Feb 4, 2008, 4:34:00 PM  

I don't believe in most conspiracy theories. But this Jordin Sparks/National Anthem thing is a little too convenient.

1. Fox is broadcasting the Super Bowl.
2. Fox broadcasts American Idol.
3. The American Idol winner is from the town where the Super Bowl is being played.
4. The American Idol winner's dad played for the New York Giants.

No wonder the chunky young African American woman who could really sing got kicked off on the second to last episode.

I only say that half in jest.

But seriously, does anyone remember when real, iconic singers like Aretha Franklin were chosen? Now they're going for 19 year old American Idol winners. Fuck you, Fox.

J.J. said...
Feb 4, 2008, 4:37:00 PM  

Did anyone catch Joe Buck poking fun at Tony Romo and the whole Jessica Simpson thing when they showed Giselle? He said something to Troy about being the Cowboys' QB.

Taylor said...
Feb 4, 2008, 9:33:00 PM  

I seem to recall someone saying "Be glad [Giselle's] not Jessica". But that could just have been me thinking...

Morgan Wick said...
Feb 6, 2008, 7:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment