A Look Inside Bobby Knight's First Night At ESPN

Thursday, March 13, 2008


A wrote a piece for Sporting News about Bob Knight's first night on ESPN and rather than quoting myself I'll just provide the link...

Knight Makes Debut, Proves He Is a Company Man (The Sporting Blog)

There was no yelling, no chair throwing, but plenty of scowls and attempts at humor. I know many of you said in previous posts that you refuse to listen what he has to say, but I have to tell you....he was pretty good. He made great points about Conference Tournaments and the Big East, but in the end didn't seem overly joyed to be on camera.

Not that he should be, but at least act like you care. At points he had his arms folded or would stare down at his notes as others talked. The highlight of the night though was when Rece Davis threw questions at the Coach in a segment called "Knight's Insights". The Digger Phelps answer actually made me laugh out loud....



I loooooove the ESPN sweater as well Bobby! Nice touch.

9 Comments:

AA, did you catch this moment?

Digger: Remember I mentioned zone? The zone defense?

(Pause)

Bob: I don't speak Spanish.


That was hilarious.

TJX said...
Mar 13, 2008, 12:11:00 PM  

Digger was over the top, trying to make Knight feel at ease. Knight is an intelligent man. He will do well. Just please quit trying to be funny Digger.

Here is a special AA note from the Mike and the Mad Dog (horrible) play by play of the Big East basketball game between Georgetown vs Villanova

Mad Dog as another 3 pointer is attempted "uh oh, 3 pointer is....missed."

Mad Dog as the rebound goes to the guard and he brings it up the court (I assume): "he's got the pumpkin."

Mad Dog setting up Mike: "Tell us about Georgetown"
Mike thinking to himself Mad Dog is an idiot I will say what I want to: "Well, Villanova would like the score in the 50's."

There you have it.

Anonymous said...
Mar 13, 2008, 12:33:00 PM  

Russo is much better than I expected.

Which, to be fair, wasn't much.

Love him dropping in the editorials on the officiating along with the straight-man PBP.

Anonymous said...
Mar 13, 2008, 12:36:00 PM  

Almost forgot- WFAN.com if you're curious. They'll be doing WVU vs. UConn as well.

Anonymous said...
Mar 13, 2008, 12:37:00 PM  

"Knight's Insights"?

[Mad Magazine Offices]
"Why don't we call it 'Everybody Hates Raymond?'"
(laughing)
"Well, we stayed up all night, but it was worth it."

/oeghbh

Anonymous said...
Mar 13, 2008, 12:41:00 PM  

Anonymous, true. I wasn't expecting much either. I am guessing it will get worse as the afternoon goes on.
When Mike said "man to man" on the first possession of the game, I thought he was channeling someone else from CBS...

Anonymous said...
Mar 13, 2008, 12:42:00 PM  

I don't need the personality if Coach Knight keeps dropping knowledge like he did last night. No hablo espanol

Anonymous said...
Mar 13, 2008, 12:48:00 PM  

Thanks for the reminder everyone. Anyone know how to get the audio from WFAN.com?

Mar 13, 2008, 1:10:00 PM  

Mike and Chris arent bad. What the fuck do you expect? They dont do this all the time. Although they act like they know everything. And Bob Knight...could you at least put on a suit? Once the tournament stops I dont even watch ESPN for college analysis. He serves no point for me except for Vitale and everyone else there to sweat him.

madnice said...
Mar 13, 2008, 3:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment