Super Bowl Announcing Preview- The Pregame and Halftime Shows Part 1

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Okay....buckle down.....this might be a long afternoon. An unknown emailer tipped me off on where to find the pregame and game transcripts for each week. Basically I'm in heaven tearing through all of these.

Part 1- NFL Today Pregame History (you can really skip this post)
Part 2- 2007 Highlights and Lowlights
Part 3- Breakdown of the Pregame Team

To be completely honest.....I don't even have the slightest clue on how to grade the Pregame Shows for the networks. I don't really like any of them. They all have some bright spots, but each one has that one person that just grates on your nerves (For me...FOX- Jimmy Johnson, ESPN- Irvin/Berman, CBS- see below). If there was a gun to my head I'd choose to watch FOX, but that's slowly changed because of JB moving over to CBS. I think JB is the best in the business.....who really cares if says the word "indeed" 250 times in an hour.

Anywho....I digress....onto The NFL Today on CBS.....

Unlike now.....my go to Pregame show when I was younger was CBS. I hated the AFC growing up, but I would always watch the pregame on the Eye. I could stand (not anymore) Brent Musburger, and Irv Cross was the man. They added Jimmy The Greek, and I began placing wagers on the line with my Pops. Good times.

CBS was in the middle of "jumping the shark" when I started watching though. They had apparently just finished going all ESPN on the show. They randomly had hired Miss America Phyliss George to add some spice to the show, but luckily she was gone before I was able to understand television.

(CBS had the dubious honor of being the channel that had the Away NFC Team games, which worked out perfect for me when the Skins were on the road.)

Well after they botched that....CBS denied Musburger and my boy Irv contracts, and moved onto Terry Bradshaw and Greg Gumbel. After that they had a 4 year hiatus.....picked up the AFC contract in 97, and that's when I changed the channel. It wasn't until Nantz came on to do the Pregame that I started watching again.

Just to turn it off again when Deion came aboard. I couldn't stand how he called people "my man", and the interviews he did were just crap. I loved that Boomer Esiason hated him, but that wouldn't get me to watch. Dan, Boomer, and Nantz were good, but I just can't stand Sanders.

After that crapfest Nantz went into the booth and Gumbel came out. Somehow they thought it would be a great idea to hire Shannon Sharpe.....I doubly didn't watch then.

Onto this year. I was perfectly happy to not watch CBS again, but they pulled off the Announcing move of the 2000s. They got James Brown to come over from FOX. If they could only get rid of Shannon somehow I'd watch every week.

I really only watch now for the site. I mainly stay on FOX, but switch over if Terry starts rambling.
____________________________

So that's your my timeline. That was enjoyable right? To tell you the truth I have no idea how that's relevant, but F it....I spent 30 minutes writing that shiz I mind as well post it.

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 11:48 AM

9 Comments:

I watched Fox until James Brown went to CBS. My hate of Joe Buck is well-documented.

Signal to Noise said...
Jan 31, 2007, 1:41:00 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jan 31, 2007, 2:07:00 PM  

It's always relevant to discuss the sad state of Pre-game shows. I can never stomach to watch more than five minutes of either Fox or CBS's pre-game programs. Although with that being said, the only person I like on ESPN is Jaws, but he is so far and beyond most analysts out there, he makes the two hours enjoyable for me. I want so much to be able to defend Deion, as he is perhaps the greatest FSU player ever, but it simply can't be done.

Jan 31, 2007, 2:08:00 PM  

"I hated the AFC growing up, but I would always watch the pregame on the Eye."

Not to nitpick, but hating the AFC when you were growing up shouldn't have precluded you from watching the Eye, if you grew up before CBS lost the NFL the first time. CBS had the NFC games before losing them to FOX. NBC had the AFC before losing them to CBS in 97.

Bouj said...
Jan 31, 2007, 2:41:00 PM  

the easy solution: don't watch ANY of those jackasses! That works for me. Those bozos just don't add anything to the game. Spend your time doing something fun.

cheswickthecat said...
Jan 31, 2007, 2:43:00 PM  

Bouj- That was a general statement since I grew up in the 80s and 90s. Not meant just for the Irv and Brent Days.

Ches- Wish I could....I'm a glutton for punishment.

Jan 31, 2007, 3:25:00 PM  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q3QnFhnV84

Anonymous said...
Jan 31, 2007, 4:23:00 PM  

I used to love pregame when I was single and living in Denver - I would wake up at 10:30 or so and start watching on ESPN, then switch over - all while I was just lying around nursing a hangover and making breakfast.

Now I live in Virginia, and by noon I'm in no mood to listen to jackasses pretend to be amused with one another.

Eric (Extra P.) said...
Jan 31, 2007, 7:14:00 PM  

"jackasses pretend to be amused with one another"

Sharpe, Irvin, Sanders...all clowns who can't speak English and relate the concepts of football to human beings.

Sometimes Irvin will say something, and I swear, I would not have understood a single word. Marble mouth.

Fox Sports Net used to have a great NFL pregame show, the one with Golic. I liked that one a lot, it was perfect for laying around and zoning out.

Anonymous said...
Feb 1, 2007, 8:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment