ESPN AFL Announcers....Umm....Announced.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

So I know you are getting back from a three day weekend, and you want to get back into the swing of things. But there's something that's just killing you. Who are the announcers for ESPN's coverage of the upcoming Arena Football League season? Well that's what I'm here for.....drumroll please......

Your Backup Teams:

Trey Wingo-Mark Schlereth
Ron Jaworski-Merril Hoge

I'm stoked for Jaworski finally getting a shot, and Wingo-Schelereth isn't bad, but Merril Hoge?!?!?! Shoot me in the face. I wonder which 40,000 Yard, 82 TD QB he'll make fun of this season?

Your #1 Team, and Announcers of Arena Bowl XXII!!!!!!

Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic














Umm what did you just say? Wait....really??? Yep it's true (and awkward).

Greenberg and Golic, who will take their “Mike & Mike in the Morning” radio show on the road each Monday and Tuesday when they work games, will call ArenaBowl XXI.
God I don't even know how to feel about this. On one hand I will be throwing stuff at the TV, but at least I'll be able to watch some football after the SuperBowl is over. I need an AFL team though.....can someone make suggestions? I'm thinking the Colorado Crush because they just signed Peter Warrick and/or Bon Jovi's Philadelphia Soul.

Quick story. I worked for the Philadelphia Charge of the WUSA when JBJ first purchased the Soul. I sat in the back of a meeting that he was involved in and he was a dick. He was yelling at people for not meeting deadlines and embarrassing people by having them stand in front of the group. It was awkward, and I can understand him wanting a smooth start to the inaugural season, but Jon.....it's the Arena League.....calm down.

15 Comments:

I don't think we need football that badly, do we?

Signal to Noise said...
Jan 16, 2007, 10:57:00 AM  

note to self: don't plan on watching any AFL games this year, especially the ARENA BOWL!!

Riggs said...
Jan 16, 2007, 12:36:00 PM  

considering i've actually watched the better part of the last 2 years of the AFL (soul) i'm not sure if Jaws should be allowed to call Philly's games, it's a major conflict of interest. Also, i guarantee you there's a guest in the booth every week

Sam said...
Jan 16, 2007, 3:40:00 PM  

Sam, given that ESPN owns the league it is broadcasting, supplying announcers for, and reporting on, I'm guessing that Jaws' conflict is a drop in the bucket.

SteveJeltzFan said...
Jan 16, 2007, 4:06:00 PM  

Consider Chuck & Duck to be a drinking game. Every time Chuck makes reference to the Jets or metrosexuality, that's a shot. And every time Duck ducks an opinion by saying, "In my opinion...", well, that's another shot!

I guess this is The All-Sports Networks' way of appeasing Duck since he is still bitter that Kornheiser is on MNF.

Anonymous said...
Jan 16, 2007, 4:31:00 PM  

Afl is actually a pretty fun little diversion, especially when you get that "Oh... that's what happened to Joe Hamilton" factor. As far as ESPN "owning" the league, I aam pretty sure that the majority of teams are individually owned, so I am not sure what thweworldwide leader "bought'.

Anonymous said...
Jan 16, 2007, 7:19:00 PM  

Warrick signed with Las Vegas actually. Shaun King will be the QB. Looking for other former NFLers? Try Troy Edwards in Grand Rapids, Chris Redman in Austin, who probably won't start there.

There are others out ther too.

Anonymous said...
Jan 16, 2007, 8:48:00 PM  

I call the live-blog of Arena Bowl XXI, unless I have an infant and/or a second (third?) job by then.

Jan 17, 2007, 12:20:00 AM  

I was totally a first-year Soul season ticket owner. We even got box seats. I think I went to a grand total of three games and ate the rest of the tickets. And by "ate" I mean "stayed home and got high instead of going to the games."

If the Soul signed Freddie Mitchell, I might reconsider, although it seems I'll be stuck in Denver for this season.

Scrappled said...
Jan 17, 2007, 1:14:00 AM  

The Sarcastic Idiocy Forum recommends using former membersof the boy band N-Sync as announcers for all future televised sporting events.

http://www.thesif.net/SIF/index.php?

Anonymous said...
Jan 17, 2007, 9:38:00 AM  

I was watching Greeny and Golic yesterday morning on ESPN2...not bad. I will watch for a few minutes to see their interactions. And I bet when Hoge is in the booth he will somehow find a way to insult Vince Young.

SAMO said...
Jan 17, 2007, 10:06:00 AM  

I honestly can't figure out why Hoge has a job. He's not likeable. He's not informative. When he's wrong (I know, stay with me here), he sticks to his guns until he's reduced to a pile of ash by whichever fellow commentator can't restrain himself from calling Hoge on his bullshit. He's provocative, but in all of the bad ways. What exactly has he ever done to improve a telecast?

Scrappled said...
Jan 17, 2007, 12:13:00 PM  

Funny thing about Hoge that I forgot to mention....he's called Arena Games before. Probably why he got the job.

And Warrick is definitely a Las Vegas Gladiator. I'm a poor readererer.

Jan 17, 2007, 12:17:00 PM  

Arena League's a pretty fun diversion, and you can see some cool stuff there - the ridiculous passing totals, fumbles bouncing off walls, that kind of thing. Plus the kicking game is (shockingly) genuinely impressive. I've seen Todd France send a 55+ yard FG through uprights 1/3 the width of the NFL version. That was just absurd.

Also, I can only hear Jaws' announcing if I agree to listen to Merrill Hoge? What the hell.

DavidL said...
Jan 17, 2007, 3:12:00 PM  

Currently 40 percent of AFL players have at least one game of NFL experience. Familiar AFL players:

Michael Bishop
Kansas City Brigade
QB
Kansas State

Sonny Cumbie
Los Angeles Avengers
QB
Texas Tech

Woody Dantzler
Chicago Rush
WR/LB
Clemson

Rohan Davey
New York Dragons
QB
Louisiana State

Troy Edwards
Grand Rapids Rampage
WR
Louisiana Tech

Joe Germaine
Utah Blaze
QB
Ohio State

Jason Gesser
Utah Blaze
QB
Washington State

Tony Graziani
Philadelphia Soul
QB
Oregon

Joe Hamilton
Free Agent
QB
Georgia Tech

Remy Hamilton
Los Angeles Avengers
K
Michigan

Andy Kelly
New Orleans VooDoo
QB
Tennessee

Shaun King
Las Vegas Gladiators
QB
Tulane

Adrian McPherson
Austin Wranglers
QB
Florida State

Marcus Nash
Dallas Desperados
WR
Tennessee

Jonathon Quinn
Kansas City Brigade
QB
Middle Tennessee State

Chris Redman
Austin Wranglers
QB
Louisville

Jeff Smoker
Nashville Kats
QB
Michigan State

Clint Stoerner
Nashville Kats
QB
Arkansas

Peter Warrick
Las Vegas Gladiators
WR
Florida State

Anonymous said...
Jan 18, 2007, 3:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment