The AFL Is Growing On Me

Tuesday, March 13, 2007


Just a quick note (mainly for myself) before we get into the Regional Previews for March Madness. I watched the better part of the AFL "Monday Night" game on ESPN 2 last night....and you know what? It wasn't half bad.

  • -The hitting seems extra vicious this year with people actually trying to pick others up and throw them over the boards.
  • -The on-field mic is amazing, and the interviews with coaches and players are interesting.
  • -Jaws and Merrill are actually pretty good together, and are insanely knowledgeable about the AFL.
  • -You get to play the Berman-Jackson "From?" Game with just about every player (this is perhaps the best drinking game I've ever invented).
I only see a couple of flaws. 1) It's AFL Football.....it can get a little boring. 2) Jaws and Hoge are both analysts. Neither is a play-by-play guy.....that can get kind of annoying by the end of the game. 3) How many times can you ask a coach what he needs to do to get back in the game before it becomes annoying?

I say twice. Jaws asked Jon Gruden's brother (coach of Orlando) this about 14 times. The on-field interviews are neat, but don't over do it. Two each half (one with a player, one with the coach) should suffice.

Oh and this quote by Jaws made me laugh....."Orlando is the Green Bay of the Arena Football League."

On second thought......maybe I didn't like it as much as I thought I did.

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 10:37 AM

3 Comments:

Orlando is the Green Bay of the AFL? What does that even mean?

WCT said...
Mar 13, 2007, 11:27:00 AM  

That's a very good question. He was trying to compare the history of the franchises within the game.

I got lost somewhere along the way.

Mar 13, 2007, 11:34:00 AM  

My only issue with it (although I only watched the fourth) was how they kept trying to sell the AFL on how exciting it all was.

I've got a friend, you know, that female friend who always takes 150 pictures when it is just a regular night out at the bar, who always hypes up anytime that people are going out as "oh, it's gonna get crazy, cause we are just crazy like that!"

Sometimes, it's just a night out at the bar, and that's plenty of fun. Sometimes, it's just an AFL game, and that is plenty of fun too.

Maybe I just hate this girl. Or that I'm not even talented enough to play in the AFL. Something like that.

TomO said...
Mar 13, 2007, 12:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment