TBS Loads Up On Announcers For The Playoffs

Friday, September 21, 2007

I don't know how many games TBS is covering for the Playoffs, but they seem to be hiring a ton of people for their coverage this October. They already had Cal Ripken (pregame) and Tony Gwynn, Chip Caray, and Joe Simpson (not Jessica's father) on the roster, and now they've rounded out their expansion draft with five more broadcasters.

Don Orsillo (told you about this last week)
Steve Stone
Bob Brenly
Ted Robinson

....and last but not least......

Dick Stockton!

The only pairing that TBS has released is Tony Gwynn and Chip Caray, but I'm telling TBS right now.....make it Stockton and Orsillo, Simpson and Stone, and Robinson and Brenley. I completely botched those pairings......Stockton and Orsillo are PbPers so that wouldn't even work. Since we believe in 2nd chances here at AA let's try that again.....

Caray/Gwynn, Orsillo/Stone, Stockton/Brenly (great team), Robinson/Simpson

P.S.- Skip Caray was more than likely going to be involved with the TBS Playoffs as well, but he was in the hospital for a few weeks with congestive heart failure. He is just now getting back in the Braves booth, and AA wishes all the best to him and his family and hopes for a speedy recovery.

TBS Take A Step In The Right Direction (Awful Announcing)

16 Comments:

Hey AA, TBS has all 4 divisions series and the NLCS, so they needed 8 people and I think Ripken is going to be in the studio?

Unknown said...
Sep 21, 2007, 11:37:00 AM  

I think TBS is already better and they haven't done a game this playoff year.

Anonymous said...
Sep 21, 2007, 11:40:00 AM  

Yeah you're right Rob. Cal is on pregame duty but I think they'll do it on location once the NLCS rolls around.

I think I agree B-Sells.

Sep 21, 2007, 11:41:00 AM  

Orsillo and Stockton are both play-by-play guys, while Simpson and Stone are both former players. Not sure how your suggested pairings would work like that.

Anonymous said...
Sep 21, 2007, 12:05:00 PM  

Crap you're right....don't know why I was thinking Orsillo was an analyst. I'm a dumbass.

Sep 21, 2007, 12:08:00 PM  

How do you NOT put Chip and Stone back together - especially for a series involving the Cubs?

Anonymous said...
Sep 21, 2007, 1:36:00 PM  

That would be great if there wasn't bad blood between them. I remember Stone saying he would never do another Cubbies game at one point. He got hammered by their fans.

Sep 21, 2007, 1:44:00 PM  

are you kidding me? the fans love Stoney, and he knows that. He left the Cubs thanks to some unprecedented front-office fuckery.

oh, and it's Brenly, not Brenley.

Anonymous said...
Sep 21, 2007, 2:01:00 PM  

Well as I recall it was a mixed bag based on the negativity he and Caray were saying about the team. Either way I don't know if TBS would want him on a Cubs series knowing the past history.

Thanks for the Brenly editing as well.

Sep 21, 2007, 2:20:00 PM  

Dick Stockton is great. I thought he was magic for the Warriors/Mavs series this year. Too bad Reggie Miller fucked it up.

GMoney said...
Sep 21, 2007, 3:24:00 PM  

I think I have said this before but, where is Bob Costas? Normally when a new network gets rights to a league they make an announcing team splash. Now granted I haven't heard some of the guys that were listed yet so I could be wrong. But what bigger baseball name than Bob Costas outside of Vinny Scully. I know he has HBO/NBC duties but even if he only did one or two games in the whole playoffs with Brenly that would be gold.

What does everybody think?

Brett

Anonymous said...
Sep 21, 2007, 4:22:00 PM  

gmoney - really? I've never heard more name/stat flubs in my life.

Anonymous said...
Sep 21, 2007, 7:13:00 PM  

TBS HD better be availible by the time the postseason comes

Anonymous said...
Sep 21, 2007, 7:17:00 PM  

Steve Stone is God! The power of Stoney compels you to get Illinois Vehicle Insurance!

(and note to whoever claimed he said he would never do another Cubs game - he's done plenty for ESPN)

Sep 22, 2007, 9:56:00 AM  

GMoney - I think Costas has fallen out of love with baseball by this point, and at any rate, wouldn't his HBO contract preclude him from working on another cable network?

I assume ESPN will me moving their main TV crews (Miller, Morgan, O'Brien, Sutcliffe, Hersheiser) over to the radio side along with Shulman and Campbell.

Anonymous said...
Sep 23, 2007, 5:59:00 PM  

Yep, Stone left the Cubbies because he ripped players for playing shitty on the air (rightly so), and those players got pissed off and put pressure on the front office to oust him.

Anonymous said...
May 4, 2008, 5:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment