So Is Bobby Knight Heading To TV?

Thursday, February 07, 2008


That was the rumor as soon as the coach announced that he was leaving Texas Tech, but longtime friend Billy Pack doesn't think it would be a good fit.

CBS' Billy Packer called Knight "the most brilliant clinician in the sport of basketball that's ever been" and put him at the "top of the list" of people he'd like to hear explain games -- "but I don't know if that translates to TV."

Generally, TV rookies debut in studio shows and not games, where the work can be more complicated. But Packer suggests Knight couldn't just be plopped down in a studio.

"I think he'd be frustrated," he said. "People are looking for tricky sound bites in studios, and to say something cute, and say it two or three times because the show is going into different markets, he'd walk out. He'd say, 'I'm not going to pretend I'm laughing for the third time.'"
For all of Billy Packer's flaws you can't say his honesty is one of them. It's almost as he's specifically describing Sunday Countdown. Although it seems like a good idea to most of Knight's friends I personally think this would be a horrible idea. Think Mike Ditka, but even more grumpy and standoffish.

He's just not a good fit for television which means ESPN will hire him later today.

Who's ready for some must-seethe TV? (Courier-Journal)

5 Comments:

Since he would be a terrible fit, I expect ESPN will offer him his own "Quite Frankly"-type show.

GMoney said...
Feb 7, 2008, 11:03:00 AM  

I would actually love to see Bob Knight on TV. I have so much respect for his basketball knowledge. I would much rather listen to him tell me about the game than Billy Packer, Digger Phelps, Jay Bilas, or any of the other clowns. TV couldn't handle Bob Knight though, He would talk in terms much too intelligent and involved. I don't think Digger Phelps' brain could handle them... he wet insane a long time ago.

Anonymous said...
Feb 7, 2008, 11:12:00 AM  

I heard TNA wrestling wants to sign him, for whatever that's worth. It worked wonders with Pacman.

Mike Maloney said...
Feb 7, 2008, 11:13:00 AM  

If nothing else, Bob would be a joy to work with in the studio: http://youtube.com/watch?v=6ZD1vkzYmyI

Feb 7, 2008, 11:25:00 AM  

Put him on opposite Skip Bayless. PLEASE!!!!

Anonymous said...
Feb 7, 2008, 7:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment