Harry Caray's Widow Mad Over AT&T Commercial

Tuesday, April 01, 2008


I guess if someone decided to do an impersonation of one of my loved ones who passed away I might be a little ticked off as well. AT&T has been airing commercials in the Chicago area with Caray's likeness and Dutchie Caray is none to happy....

Dutchie Caray is furious with AT&T over television commercials featuring comic John Caponera pitching cable TV while impersonating the late Harry Caray.

"I just get shivers when I even think about it," she told WGN-Ch. 9 on Monday morning.

"I was gone the whole month of March and I didn't come back until a couple of days ago. ... It made me so sick and disgusted. ... What they did [was] so unprofessional, so jerky. ... I might make an AT&T commercial, wrap myself in telephone wire, ughl-ughl-ughl and act like an idiot dope."
You have to see the video on this because I love the telephone wire part. In other news the impressionist was pretty spot on with his take on Caray....



Caray's widow peeved over ads (Chicago Tribune)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 11:12 AM

6 Comments:

Apparently, Dutchie has no clue that people have been spoofing her dead husband for the past 20+ years. This isn't new, old lady.

GMoney said...
Apr 1, 2008, 11:24:00 AM  

So...Will Ferrell's constant impressions back when he was on SNL didn't have any affect on her, or what?

Mike Maloney said...
Apr 1, 2008, 11:36:00 AM  

That impression is not spot on. It's a great version of Ferrell's, but that one wasn't close either.

Anonymous said...
Apr 1, 2008, 12:16:00 PM  

mike- That was exactly what I was thinking.

Non-Chicago fans feel the same way hearing the broadcasts of Ron Santo, DJ, and of course, The Homer Hawk.

Anonymous said...
Apr 1, 2008, 12:18:00 PM  

As a lifelong Chicagoan who saw Harry even during his days as a White Sox announcer, this guy's impression is an abortion. Nobody in Chicago likes it.

The only thing I like less is that mulleted UPS whiteboard guy. Someone kick him in the Jimmy too.

Anonymous said...
Apr 1, 2008, 12:31:00 PM  

It's probably not just the impression, but the fact that a company is using it to sell their product. And, as mentioned, it's more of an impression of Will Ferrell doing a bad impression of Harry Caray, which would probably piss one off even more.

Anonymous said...
Apr 1, 2008, 1:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment