Marty Brennaman Isn't Apologizing For Remarks Directed At Cubs Fans

Monday, April 21, 2008


All of Chicago is cursing the name Brennaman these days, but Marty has a message for you Chicagoans.....he doesn't care. Late Friday MB was on WMVP-AM 1000 and wasn't taking ANY of his comments back....

"If they can't understand what happened Wednesday night was completely over the top, then I'm sorry," Brennaman said. "I said how tough it is to root for the Cubs. I think a lot of people feel the same way I do, but they won't articulate it. I'm not afraid to say what I think."

Later on, Brennaman said, "[Compared to Cubs fans] Cardinals fans are hands down the best in baseball. They respect the game. They don't go to the game to do stupid stuff.

"The Cubs have some great baseball fans. But the ones who act like idiots (ruin) it for people like me."
The thing I don't understand is that there are drunk asses in every single stadium. I don't know how you could single out Cubs' fans as the worst, especially when the crime was throwing batting practice baseballs on the field.

Oh and I also heard a rumor that Brennamania cursed at Jeff Brantley on-air this past Saturday, but can't find it anywhere. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Brennaman maintains criticism of Cubs fans (Chicago Tribune)
Get Off Marty Brennaman's Lawn You Cubs Fans! (Awful Announcing)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 11:15 AM

8 Comments:

I wish I could say I was outraged or something along those lines at Marty Brennaman, but that would probably require me to care about what he has to say, which, at the end of the day, I really don't.

Mike Maloney said...
Apr 21, 2008, 12:33:00 PM  

having gone to college at a school that was predominantly cubs fans, marty is 110 percent correct. they are the biggest assclowns in all of baseball.

and yes, i've dealt with yankees fans and red sox fans. those fans may be jerks but at least they are are baseball fans. cubs fans aren't even baseball fans.

i actually had a guy who claimed he was a "big time cubs fan" tell me (honestly) he never heard of stan musial. no shit!

cubs "fans" may know the names of their own players but they couldn't tell you squat about them.

in case you don't know, what got marty bent was those imbeciles in the bleachers threw multiple balls on the field at the same time.

anywhere else, you'd get locked up for that.

Anonymous said...
Apr 21, 2008, 1:42:00 PM  

As a Cards fan(50 years and counting), I've never embraced the "Best Fans in Baseball" moniker; it's BS. What makes us so much better than everyone else?

And if I had to work with Brantley on a day to day basis, I'd cuss at him, too.

UnHoly Diver said...
Apr 21, 2008, 1:47:00 PM  

Did anything happen at the Yankee's/Orioles games? Didn't the Yankees lose all three??

Anonymous said...
Apr 21, 2008, 1:52:00 PM  

Yankees salvaged the last game in Baltimore.

Anonymous said...
Apr 21, 2008, 3:33:00 PM  

I agree with anon #1, they talk a good game but a Cubs fan knows nothing. I mean seriously, only an idiot would argue that Ron Santo should be in the HOF.

GMoney said...
Apr 21, 2008, 3:43:00 PM  

A couple of things to keep in mind here. First, Marty shouldn't be criticizing ANYONE for throwing objects onto the field after inciting the Cincy fans to do the same in 1988 when Dave Pallone ejected Pete Rose. He and Joe Nuxhall were called before NL Pres Bartlett Giamatti over the comments.

Second, the Cubs opted not to bring back his son to do games on WGN because of network conflicts. Marty has whined about this before.

Third, the Reds were getting thumped by the Cubs for a second straight day, which I'm sure wasn't helping Marty get through what's going to be another losing season in Cincinnati. I just think Marty isn't used to seeing a bunch of fans at a Reds game and was caught in the moment.

Marty is a bitter, bitter man with an ego bigger than Ken Griffey, Jr.

Anonymous said...
Apr 21, 2008, 5:32:00 PM  

Marty is completely correct. Cub fans are the biggest assclowns in sports. But, if i never won i would be an asshole all the time as well.

Anonymous said...
Apr 28, 2008, 11:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment