TNT Releases Announcing Teams For NBA Playoffs

Tuesday, April 15, 2008


So we're almost to the point of the year when I don't seem to get any sleep. That's what happens when you have West Coast NBA Playoff games ending at 3 in the g'damn morning, but what are you going to do? TNT is the main cause of my insomnia as the try to completely overload us with Basketball by providing a slate of 40 games in 40 nights.

They also get the Western Conference Finals this year which should be fun as long as the Spurs aren't involved (we all know they will be though). Here are your pairings for the opening rounds....

Marv Albert and Reggie Miller
Kevin Harlan and Doug Collins
Dick Stockton and Mike Fratello
Matt Devlin and ____________


Studio Team: Ernie Johnson, Kenny Smith, Charles Barkley, and Magic Johnson
Sideline Reporters: Craig Sager, David Aldridge, Cheryl Miller, Pam Oliver, Marty Snider, Dei Lynam, Stacy Paetz and Stephanie Ready
Other Contributors: John Thompson

All of that looks very similar to last year, but there's one very interesting twist. Reggie Miller isn't calling the Western Conference Finals and will be relegated to the Studio Team as Doug "I Coached Michael Jordan" Collins gets the nod. I have no idea why he's getting benched, or why you wouldn't just put Collins and Albert together in the first place, but I guess it's a good thing he's not on the call.

Actually I take that back. I'd rather have Reggie than Doug "I played in the Olympics and interrupt my lead more than Jay Bilas" Collins (he's got many nicknames). Oh and look for actor Terrance Howard on the commercials this year as well. Anyone but David Blaine is good at this point.

6 Comments:

TNT has the best studio team... except when they add the 4th guy in. I can't stand when they put Magic or Reggie in the studio. Actually for a station that has such a good studio they have got to have the worst announcing teams. Other than Marv Albert and a very mediocre (but not bad) Kevin Harlan I can't stand a single one of them.

The only sideline guy I know and enjoy even the slightest is David aldridge and he has become a little bit too "I have all sorts of contacts want to hear about them even though most aren't that important" lately.

Anonymous said...
Apr 15, 2008, 2:29:00 PM  

David Blaine > Dane Cook

GMoney said...
Apr 15, 2008, 4:15:00 PM  

Matt Devlin is straight fucking terrible, one of the worst basketball announcers out there. I hoped since the Bobcats FIRED his ass, TNT would do the same and get someone else for the 4th role (Ian Eagle doesn't have anything to do with the Nets out, same with Gus Johnson and the Knicks, or hell even Kevin Calabro of the Sonics)

Ugh.

Anonymous said...
Apr 15, 2008, 4:44:00 PM  

oooo Pam Oliver, Stacy Paetz and Stephanie Ready. Ill be tuning in at the beginning, before halftime, and end of games.

madnice said...
Apr 16, 2008, 9:14:00 AM  

Honestly, I dont see anything wrong with any of the four announcers they seem to use year in and year out (but Ive never really watched a full game with Matt Devlin on it, so.....). But I always notice this consensus of hatred for Matt, which causes me to ask "Why won't they bring Kevin Calabro back?" He used to do games for TNT in the late 90's, and with the Sonics most likely (and unfortunately) leaving Seattle, and his refusal to move, I think he should be the 4th guy AND he should get a contract with TNT. But that's just me.

Anonymous said...
Apr 16, 2008, 8:43:00 PM  

I'm sort of disappointed that Miller is in the studio rather than calling the West Finals itself. Actually, I'm not disappointed at all that Miller is demoted to the studio. What I really want to know is: WHY ISN'T MIKE "THE CZAR" FRATELLO CALLING THE GAMES ALONGSIDE MARV ALBERT?! I mean we had Fratello in the lead team for most of the regular season. Then you bench him in favor of Collins for the All-Star Game, as well as demoting him to a third-string team with Dick Stockton for the playoffs. Now for the East Finals, he's gone! Kapoof! Goodbye! We don't need you anymore! The Czar should be the lone lead color analyst alongside Albert, neither Miller nor Collins. The two were the lead team for NBC in the early '90s and called the NBA Finals together. Why can't they be together for the East Finals on TNT? Leave Collins in the #2 spot alongside Harlan and Miller in the studio.

Anonymous said...
Apr 21, 2008, 11:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment