Words To Live By

Sunday, July 15, 2007

(posted by OMDQ)

I was going to have a little fun with the ESPYs tonight and count/mock the athletes who thanked God in their acceptance speeches, then Kay Yow spoke and the idea lost most of its humor. Sure, there's a big difference between thanking your Lord and Savior for exceptional athletic performance and thanking him for the fact that you're still alive, but I'm not willing to make the distinction at this point in time.

This, however, must be said: Lebrontourage? Jimmy Kimmel and Danica Patrick in the shower? LeBron dunking his "baby"? Did any full-time ESPN employees work on the production of this show, or was it just a summer project for a group of interns who worked on it in their spare time?

Let's ditch this party and head back a few years to the absolute best moment in ESPYs history (which is a little sad, because I think it was the first year the show was held): Jim Valvano's classic speech at the 1993 show. From the "God, family, and the Green Bay Packers" story to the "Don't give up, don't ever give up" line, this is ten of the best minutes that ESPN has ever broadcast.

Posted by One More Dying Quail at 10:05 PM

4 Comments:

The courage of both Jimmy V and Coach Yow is truly amazing. I had a hard time watching her cry on stage but the adoration and respect the athletes and actors in the audience game her was well deserved.

Steve M said...
Jul 16, 2007, 12:11:00 AM  

That inspiration speech story is as funny today as it was back then. No one could tell a story like Jimmy V.
And you are 100% correct about it being great TV.

Anonymous said...
Jul 16, 2007, 12:46:00 AM  

That speech is in my Ipod. Whenever I think I'm having a shitty day, I just listen to it and remember that it just ain't that bad.

Anonymous said...
Jul 16, 2007, 9:13:00 AM  

Something so simple... Laugh. Think. Emote.

I did all three today. After (while in thought) watching this, can Jim Valvano's speech be considered the moment ESPN jumped the shark? Usually, JTS is reserved for something incredibly lame but, after The Big Show ended, I can't think of another moment when I thought TWWL went downhill.

Thank you for the video. It had been way too long since I saw it last.

San_Erino said...
Jul 17, 2007, 2:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment