Bonds' Suck Show Moves Onto San Diego, Padres' Announcers Begin To Pray

Friday, August 03, 2007


Thanks ESPN....thanks for letting me know that Bonds was is on deck with your crappy little pop-up thingy (click photo for larger view). That's nice of you. I was also unaware that he's 2 homeruns away from passing Hank Aaron. Good reminder there....thanks again!

As you know already, Bonds failed to homer in LA, so he and his slump roll into San Diego for the weekend. Padre Fans are obviously thrilled, and even their announcers are dreading the series....

“There's a prayer that I say in my car, and I have all week,” said Ted Leitner of XX Sports Radio. “ 'Dear God: Please not here, and please not me.' And I mean that.”

“The whole thing stinks,” said [Padres' Announcer Matt] Vasgersian, who must be wondering where a Fox assignment is when he needs it. “The tone will not be reverential, nor will it be celebratory. It'll be matter of fact.

“I don't think I'll say this, but the tone will be, 'Like it or not, one of the most hallowed records, if not the most hallowed record in all of sports, will have an arguable stain over it, until A-Rod breaks it.'"
I still think it would be cool to be there, or even more...the one who announces it. But I can see Vasgersian's point.

Voices of Padres dread Bonds call (Sign On San Diego)
God, Why Dost Thou Torture Me? (Rumors and Rants)

Posted by Awful Announcing- at 10:15 AM

8 Comments:

My favorite part is how they act like San Diegoites care about sports.

GMoney said...
Aug 3, 2007, 10:32:00 AM  

San Diegons...?

Also, I dont really mind the Bonds On Deck pop up... in fact, it's really kinda cool, whatever their ulterior motives may be.

Anonymous said...
Aug 3, 2007, 10:38:00 AM  

I guess there are worse things in the world Matt, but I find it kind of annoying. If you're following the game don't you already know he's on deck?

Aug 3, 2007, 10:46:00 AM  

It's San Diegan for those who are interested.

And San Diegans do like their sports quite a bit, but since there are other things to do in San Diego 365 days out of the year what with the gorgeous weather and beaches and all, they actually go out and do those things.

The Bonds pop-up is annoying. If I wanted to watch the game or GameCast I would be doing that.

Anonymous said...
Aug 3, 2007, 11:17:00 AM  

I guess I'm part of the demographic that's not gonna sit with the game on for 4 hours, but if I'm at espn.com and i get the pop-up, I may switch on the TV for a minute to see if anything (finally) happens.

Anonymous said...
Aug 3, 2007, 3:30:00 PM  

In German San Diego means "whale's vagina" I beleive.

J Rose said...
Aug 3, 2007, 3:30:00 PM  

What's wrong with the espn.com notification that Barry Bonds is on deck? Personally, I am interested in seeing his next 2 homeruns, so if espn.com reminds me when he's about to bat, great! At least I don't have to sit through an entire game that I don't care about. I think in this case you're unfairly picking on ESPN.

anonymous said...
Aug 3, 2007, 5:35:00 PM  

...and San Diego's Curse Lives On...

Anonymous said...
Mar 2, 2008, 5:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment