Bill Simmons Is Pissed at Shrutebag and a Cleveland Writer I've Never Heard Of

Tuesday, June 05, 2007



In all my years reading Bill Simmons (probably 7 or so), I don't think he's ever responded, or acknowledged critics (let alone two in the same article). Well, that's what happened yesterday.

Simmons first responds to Cleveland writer Ron Brown after the journalist put him in the #3 spot of people who have done the most damage to their reps during the Cleveland-Detroit Series. Brown wrote that Simmons called James an "overhyped fraud", which he never did, and that Simmons then "fawned over James like a 13-year old girl." Bill easily knocks him down a few pegs with this response....

Sorry, I have to respond to this one. First of all, if Roger can produce anything I've ever written that called him LeBron an "overhyped fraud," I will send him a $200 check to double the salary that the News-Herald is paying him every week. I think he has me confused with Charley Rosen. Second, I love the idea that me "ripping" LeBron gained me national attention ... really? From who? Did I happen to be in a coma at the time?
I'm of course with Bill on this one...hasn't every writer (including those in Cleveland) notes that James loafs through the season, and this HAD to be the Playoffs that he stepped up in? Pretty obvious right???

The thing that strikes me is that Simmons actually took time to respond to a no-name writer in Cleveland. I mean I probably have more credibility than that guy (and that's not saying much). But even more surprising than that is Simmons' response to Colin Cowherd after Shrutebag made fun of his Kobe trade scenarios. Here's the quote...
And if that wasn't bad enough, Cowherd embarrassed himself by not understanding basic NBA trading principles like "it would be valuable for L.A. to swap Vlad Radmanovic's contract for Bobby Sura's expiring contract in a T-Mac/Kobe deal because Sura's contract expires in 2008, which would buy them some cap space down the road."

Look, I know the radio business lends itself to hosts lazily skimming other people's columns and blogs (FYI- AA added the link) ... but seriously, Colin, in the words of Mark Jackson, you're better than that. Your show's on for three hours a day and you get four giant commercial breaks per hour. That leaves you plenty of time to research your segments so you don't come off as misinformed. No offense.
DAGGER! That is just a wicked response. It's nice to know that his "peers" think of him in the same regard that us Bloggers do.

I like this side of you Bill. You've got a new 4-year contract, and you're the Captain of a sinking ship. It's time to start your "airing of greivances" and I'm all for it. But can you do one thing for me....tell the Page 2 editors to change the name of your section. You don't write a Blog you write a Column. It reeks of Page 2 trying to be hip when they change the name.

P.S.- I'm going to unfortunately listen to Shrutebag's show today to see if there's a response. Hey, us journalists have to do stuff we don't like sometime(s). I'm doing it so you don't have to (WOW! AA took Six Silver Bullets for me!!!)

Housecleaning time: Clips, links and e-mail (Page 2: Simmons' Blog)
ESPN's Anthony: Spurs over Cavs (The News Herald)

(P.S.- Thanks to Larry Burns for posting this in the comments and alerting me to the feud)

Update: Here's Cowherd's response.

13 Comments:

Do not taunt Super Happy Fun Simmons.

Ray said...
Jun 5, 2007, 10:26:00 AM  

Simmons rules.

GMoney said...
Jun 5, 2007, 10:28:00 AM  

i like simmons even more know, i actually like him when he does bkb. also why has he not just do independent yet his site would get so many hits he would easily make the money on advertising.

Anonymous said...
Jun 5, 2007, 10:47:00 AM  

That picture of Cowherd drives me fucking crazy. He looks like a total asshole.

Ray said...
Jun 5, 2007, 10:48:00 AM  

Ha, news flash McBain...he IS a total asshole! I'm putting together Shrutebag's response right now. Stay tuned.

Jun 5, 2007, 10:54:00 AM  

He actually responded? Seriously Colin, just stay down.

I was hoping someone would write about this today, because I read the Simmons column late last night and was amazed that the Page 2 editors left the Cowherd stuff alone.

Simmons isn't perfect, but he knows the NBA. Cowherd's just going to embarass himself again, similar to when he was cracking jokes on Keith Olbermann. Maybe he's operating under the "any publicity is good publicity" model, but when all you ever get is bad publicity...

Scrappled said...
Jun 5, 2007, 11:01:00 AM  

Colin Cowherd needs to be tranquilized.

TJX said...
Jun 5, 2007, 11:10:00 AM  

Like Cowherd or not Simmons trade ideas for Kobe were ridiculous at best.

Unknown said...
Jun 5, 2007, 11:13:00 AM  

I like Simmons, I always have. I think Simmons is tired of having everyone take shots at him, and frankly I don't blame him.

He responded to Scoop, and now Shrutebag. It's one thing for a blog to come out and say "Simmon's sucks" it's another for a national writer to call him out, and him defend himself.

P.S. working ont he Don Cherry analysis today too?

Jibblescribbits said...
Jun 5, 2007, 11:25:00 AM  

Jibbs- Yep, I rather enjoyed him. He stammered a bit here and there, but he was "as advertised".

You were also right about the Duck Defense....they are just too big. The Sens could barely get shots through to the net. Good game.

Jun 5, 2007, 11:29:00 AM  

I've always enjoyed Simmons work, but Schrutebag is right about the Celtics articles. But Simmons is still 10 times more entertaining than Schrutebag will ever be.

K said...
Jun 5, 2007, 11:38:00 AM  

Cowherd used to be the sports anchor on the news here in Portland and it actually made me change the channel to a different report. The guy is terrible and doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.

Go Bill!

Anonymous said...
Jun 5, 2007, 12:18:00 PM  

I can't stand more than about 3 or 4 minutes of this guy. I'd like to listen to sportstalk radio but....can't.handle.the.stupidity. Unbelievable. Bill Simmons is one of the few bright spots for ESPN.

tc said...
Jun 7, 2007, 3:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment