I Heart Jon Miller

Sunday, July 01, 2007

(posted by OMDQ)

An iPhone-related conversation involving Joe Morgan, Jon Miller and Peter Gammons is, as one might expect, highly amusing.

What's more amusing? When Miller decides to poke a little fun at his broadcast partner's legendary fear of electronics:

"Joe, there's a phone without even having a cord on it...you should get one."

That's it, Jon. I know we've had our differences in this space before, and I'm not sure I can ever forget the way you vainly tried to connect Chien-Ming Wang to Ron Guidry, but that, sir, is a good first step toward earning back the trust of every baseball fan in America.

Almost as great? Seconds later, when Joe responded, "I am getting one," then paused for about ten seconds before adding, "It's not for me. It's for my daughter." As if the world might cease to exist if he purchased an electronic device for himself. (Note: it might.)

Posted by One More Dying Quail at 10:06 PM

7 Comments:

Is it just me, or does Miller look like a conehead? or perhaps a lightening rod? or perhaps a stuck in the 40's, dipstuff washed-up hack who probably doesn't even wash his private parts 'cause that was considered too feminine in the era that he's still stuck in?

Anonymous said...
Jul 2, 2007, 1:16:00 AM  

However the guy looks, he can call a game like no other.

Crucifictorious said...
Jul 2, 2007, 1:42:00 AM  

I'm just thankful to have both a job and life so as to not watch 3.5 hour telecasts of this idiot (and all baseball telecasts...I mean, really, who can honestly say they have watched a baseball game on television from start to finish nowadays?

And if you can, then, uhhh, get a job and/or life).

Anonymous said...
Jul 2, 2007, 2:12:00 AM  

Joe really likes those rally mugs. He got one for his daughter.

E Buzz said...
Jul 2, 2007, 1:37:00 PM  

i love when people say get a life, they are usually the ones with no life.

Anonymous said...
Jul 2, 2007, 9:40:00 PM  

I've watched a game from end to end. It's called background, while blogging, or working, or doing the laundry. And I'm pretty sure I've got a life, actually.

DMtShooter said...
Jul 6, 2007, 9:26:00 AM  

I have had the privilege to meet with Jon Miller many times including the first one 17 years ago when I snuck into the press box lobby at memorial stadium, to driving down 695 in Baltimore, ( he lived in Cockeysville with his wife and 6 kids) he has almost always given me a great huge smile and made my day each time.

He is an incredible accurate announcer ( I once brought the radio to the game and heard how he called exactly what was happening, now skipping a beat. " a pop up deep to left center the center fielder moving to his right the left fielder to his left they near each other and the center fielder jumps and makes the grab.

He does not miss a beat, and he remembers so much. Not to mention his golden voice. A charming funny guy, a great guy who I grew up listening to and still log into mlb.com to hear him call the games on knbr. Jon if you see this, you have made my life so much more meaningful and you have to so many of my friends in Baltimore as well. Thank you Jon Miller.

PS when I was about to leave the lobby of the press box at memorial stadium in 1990 I was talking to him about his new ESPN job to which he said in his tone "don't miss it".

Anonymous said...
Oct 21, 2007, 9:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment